Good or Bad service from banks?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
since Santander bought Alliance and Leicester, their level of incompetence and my dissatisfaction have increased. This week they changed their website without telling me or giving me the new passcode I need to operate it. I phoned (annoyingly, they have an 0845 number) when I discovered I could not sign in to make a withdrawal and they say they will post me the passcode. They have also fail to provide Fastpay for withdrawals from my ISA to my other bank, all withdrawals take three days no matter what the amount. Also the interest rate has dropped to derisory levels and they do not issue notice of interest rate change. So I have opened a cash ISA with another provider and am transferring my account away from A&L/Santander.

My Current account is with RBoS and the English branches have also been bought by Santander, I refuse to let my accounts be transferred to them. They are a terrible bank and I will tell anyone who wants to hear.

What's your bank like?

Sponsored Links
Nationwide BS, been with them for 25 years and never had a problem. Customer service is excellent. Get your money in there. :)

All banks are after these days is your money. Take the antiquated clearing system. in this hi tech day and age, there's absolutely no reason why funds from one account into another have to take 3 days minimum. Electronic transfer should be as a maximum, from close of business one day to open business the very next day.. The only reason for it is tradition. WTF. Is it traditional that banks making losses should pay their staff exorbitant bonuses? (for making that loss) After going to the government to be bailed out?
Honestly banks take the proverbial these days.

Natwest & Nationwide. Originally opened an account with Nationwide as a kid but when I started work I soon realised that my wages (and everyone elses who had them paid into a building society) took 2-3 days longer to clear. Also have an ISA with Nationwide but it's looking rather empty nowadays!

Switched current account to Natwest, no problems at all with them and can't fault them. Their student account (which I'm switching to soon) offers a free 16-25 railcard and an overdraft that increases by £1k each academic year, which for me is by far the best of its type.

Customer service has always been superb from both of them.

Sponsored Links
LLoyds, devious liars out to take what they can get from you. :evil:

Thank your lucky stars you don't have any cash in Irish banks.
Have a neighbour who went to make a withdrawal and the bank told him "no can do" so they signed the bank property over and pay him rent. :mrgreen:
Thats how bad it is in Ireland.

I opened, what was then Alliance & Leicester account, just to get the £100. They promised to match my exisiting current A/c, which they very nearly did (free O/D up to £500), which I occasionally took advantage of.

After 12 months without notice or warning they withdrew that facility. Imagine my exasperation when I started incurring O/D fees.
It took three months to have those fees reimbursed and I'm not absolutely sure that the account is closed now, after many months of trying to close it.
I soon stopped trying to contact them by phone when I realised that they keep you on hold indefinitely on a chargeable call.
I always used e-mail after that. That also gives you a record of what's been said.
While I had that account I had an option of a fee-free balance transfer credit card, which I took advantage of.

After 11 months I transferred the remaining balance to another new balance transfer card. That was February, this year, they still haven't closed my crecit card despite repeated requests. And they tried to stitch me up with a fee for transferring the balance to another card!
That was reimbursed eventually but then there was interest on that fee, which has finally been reimbursed.

I wouldn't touch 'em again, no matter what the tempting offers.

I have found the Co Op bank to be very good indeed. Good security, online banking is easy to use and cheques clear in two days....

My bank (First trust) told me today cheques take four days to clear and next tuesday before I can make a cash withdrawal.

Nationwide BS, been with them for 25 years and never had a problem. Customer service is excellent. Get your money in there. :)

Ditto.

My wages are always in there on payday - no delay. Free overdraft at very small interest rate up to £3000. Good, easy to use internet banking site.

Never, ever had a single problem with them in 25 years since I opened the account as a student.

why is it that if you get a cheque out of a building society account and put it into your bank account, it leaves your BS account instantly, and yet doesn't turn up in the bank a/c for days? :evil:

oh yeah, let them keep your money and they give you 0.1% interest, and yet borrow money off them and it's at 18% interest !!!!

they're all robbers !!!

since Santander bought Alliance and Leicester, their level of incompetence and my dissatisfaction have increased. This week they changed their website without telling me or giving me the new passcode I need to operate it. I phoned (annoyingly, they have an 0845 number) when I discovered I could not sign in to make a withdrawal and they say they will post me the passcode. They have also fail to provide Fastpay for withdrawals from my ISA to my other bank, all withdrawals take three days no matter what the amount. Also the interest rate has dropped to derisory levels and they do not issue notice of interest rate change. So I have opened a cash ISA with another provider and am transferring my account away from A&L/Santander.

My Current account is with RBoS and the English branches have also been bought by Santander, I refuse to let my accounts be transferred to them. They are a terrible bank and I will tell anyone who wants to hear.

What's your bank like?

since whem have rbs been spanish

why is it that if you get a cheque out of a building society account and put it into your bank account, it leaves your BS account instantly, and yet doesn't turn up in the bank a/c for days? :evil:

oh yeah, let them keep your money and they give you 0.1% interest, and yet borrow money off them and it's at 18% interest !!!!

they're all robbers !!!

so do not use cheques....

is it not easier to transfer... then immediate...

they're all robbers !!!

so do not use cheques....

is it not easier to transfer... then immediate...

Geraint, i like the warmth i'm feeling from you... yeah, things are looking up ! So these transfers, can i go into a BS and ask for an immediate transfer to my current account?

Sponsored Links
Back