Has anyone made a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. I’m wondering whether it’s worth my while.

Long story short(ish), I completed an online application to transfer my one year fixed isa to another provider. Done it more than a few times before and it’s a simple process. About a week after my previous fixed isa had matured, it was still with the previous provider (Santander). I phoned them up and asked why, they said they'd had no request from my new provider. I phoned my new provider and they told me I hadn’t completed a transfer in request. I said I had, they said I hadn’t but took the transfer in details over the phone and offered me £20 to settle my complaint. I told them what to do with their £20 and said I wanted to lodge a formal complaint. I asked for a copy of my application form. Nothing happened so I phoned back a couple of weeks later and asked again. Meanwhile, last week, £80 was paid into my bank account and even my bank couldn’t tell me where it had come from. Yesterday I received a letter from them basically telling me they had completed their 'investigation' and my application did not contain an isa transfer request but because they didn't contact me to say that I hadn’t completed it, they upheld my complaint, have paid me £80 and that’s the end of it as far as they are concerned. If I want to pursue it further, they say I have to go to the financial ombudsman.

IMG_5674.jpeg

The thing is, they have sent me a copy of my application form and it clearly shows that I have told them that wanted to transfer the entire amount of my previous isa provider on maturity of that account. I provided the name of my provider plus the sort code and my account number.

The second thing is, after I had found out they hadn’t processed my transfer, I told Mrs Mottie to check hers (as we both have isa's that mature at the same time and both transfer to the same providers when we switch) and guess what? Yep, they gave her the same story - that she hadn’t completed an isa transfer. She's more laid back than me and CBA to do anything about it and she thinks I should just let it go.

Opinions please!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it the money or the principle?
Principal really. The bastards were and still are clearly lying to us. I wonder how many others they did it to? If the account is not funded within a certain timeframe, it would be automatically closed and you would have to re-apply at the current rate. We applied at 5.83%. At the time, they were giving the highest rate of any provider for just a small window of time, 17 days, and I personally think they were trying to trick savers into going on to the next rate which was 5.4% by pretending they hadn’t completed an isa transfer. Only .43% but with possibly millions involved, they could make quite a saving. Just my theory, Mrs Mottie says let it go.

IMG_5675.jpeg

If it's a point of principle then hold their feet to the fire and let 'em know you've got the paperwork to maintain your position. Why should they stuff your money up their nose when you could buy a decent bottle of wine with it. (y)

Sponsored Links
Most companies now are using "sharp" practices . And then grind you down with standard replies. Good luck if you complain, if you have the time and don't get worn down by the experience. Read a physcology book couple of years ago. Author finally gave three conclusions and rules how he lives his life so as not to stress life's set backs. 1. Life is not fair. 2. The goal posts move. 3. There are no guarantees.

If it's a point of principle then hold their feet to the fire and let 'em know you've got the paperwork to maintain your position. Why should they stuff your money up their nose when you could buy a decent bottle of wine with it. (y)

Just an update on this. I’ve had a letter today with another apology and they are giving me another £125 compensation. I told Mrs Mottie she's got to make a complaint now and she told me to ….. well, I won’t say what she said but you can guess. Oh well, all sorted now and I’ve had £205 in total for my complaining. Not too shabby. :cool:

IMG_5731.jpeg

Right, off to Sainsbury’s while they have a 'Buy 6, get 25% off offer on wine'. ;) :ROFLMAO:

You can’t prove they were scamming you and they have followed the complaint process and have compensated you.

Move on.

Sponsored Links
Back