Good place/shop to buy decoration materials? B&Q = :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

as my name suggests, I am a decoration newbie (deco-newbie, but busy as a bee) and have recently gotten more and more depressed by the low quality of materials available at B&Q. Any suggestions as to fabulous shops / places where you can buy amazing materials at good prices? (paints, fillers, plaster, etc)

Thanks for any input.

decobee
ps: based in glasgow

Sponsored Links
For paints I don't think you can beat Dulux Trade Centres. Good quality paints and brushes and I've found the staff very knowledgable and helpful. :)

I think you'll find that B&Q sell Dulux and Crown. Not exactly low quality.

The Dulux, crown etc sold in B&Q etc it retail paint..its reasonable quality but not as good as the trade stuff, but ive always belived that if a surface needs two coats anyway then it doesnt really matter...trade or retail..the difference can be when using a trade product can mean the difference between one and two coats...then id go for trade paints every time.

As for home branded paints, id avoid them.

Johnstone do a decent range reasonable quality and a fair price...but again stick to the trade versions.

Sponsored Links
B&Q sell Dulux Trade v.matt, Dulux Trade v.silk -Dulux Trade Weathershield masonry, Dulux Trade Weathershield Undercoat/gloss etc, if you prefer to pay more for buying trade :LOL:

There is Trade paints at B&Q Wharehouses but the price of cheaper paints dictates the publics chioce. Just llike Organic Class A Chicken Breasts £6, compared to 9 Chicken Breasts at £6 !. You get what you pay for. Dulux Trade is the best paint but some of there products do have flaws. I personaly use nearly every brand as each brand has there own best product be it for covering power etc..........................

Third_Eye said:
There is Trade paints at B&Q Wharehouses but the price of cheaper paints dictates the publics chioce. Just llike Organic Class A Chicken Breasts £6, compared to 9 Chicken Breasts at £6 !. You get what you pay for. Dulux Trade is the best paint but some of there products do have flaws. I personaly use nearly every brand as each brand has there own best product be it for covering power etc..........................

Your right there captain turdseye..they all make weaker and stronger products

I would never buy trade paint from a DIY outlet, far to expensive, stick to the trade centres

[quote="Zampa"

I would never buy trade paint from a DIY outlet, far to expensive, stick to the trade centres[/quote]
Well that's o.k if you've got a good trade account but the author of this thread wont have.
The robbin' gits at Dulux Trade centres are far dearer than the same paint at B&Q. They'll give you all kinds of excuses but they're dearer.
It's time this was all changed.

Name me one product (other than paint) that's dearer to buy trade, even at a trade shop :!:

Zampa said:
Let's say you buy some trade central heating gear - (dearer or cheaper than retail)?
You buy some trade electrical stuff at the trade counter - (dearer or cheaper than retail)?
I'll help you - they're both cheaper.

Go buy some trade paint - dearer or cheaper than retail? answer - Dearer

So name me one product that's dearer to buy trade other than paint.

In other words - paint is the only thing you can buy trade that is dearer, unless you can show me something else that is dearer to buy trade than retail.

Thanks to everyone for the much appreciated input!
I see more clearly now...
I'd been buying the cheaper ranges (B&Q's own and some other cheap ones), and as always, I guess, you get what you pay for...

Leyland for good quality/value paint and materials that are actually used by the trade, slightly more expensive but better quality is ICI's trade brand Glidden also popular in the trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back