good quality outdoor wall light!

I had similar requirements to you, but solved it in a different way.

I got some brushed ali up/down lighters from Screwfix (around £20 ea). They have been out in the elements for about 18 months now and no sign of rust.

No dusk/dawn sensor of course, so I replaced the internal light switch with a LightwaveRF radio controlled dimmer switch and got one of their Wifi-link boxes which allows you to configure rules about on/off time.

I have them come on at sunset and off at midnight. Works pretty flawlessly. Have most of the house set up like this.

---

Side note: Am currently upgrading them to work with RaspPi running Domoticz and wireless PIR sensors so when someone walks up the drive the lights increase from 30% brightness to 100% brightness for 5-10 mins, then back to 30%.

Thanks for productive suggestion. I have looked at lightwaverf stuff in the past.

Just finished installing evohome for heating and I'm liking this home automation thing :)

Sponsored Links
I was also looking at evohome.. not got round to that yet.

Have to say that using the rfxcom433 and domoticz on a raspberry pi is working out really well. And it's very cheap. The lightwaverf stuff is a bit limited on its own (e.g. you can only pair things directly to each other), but adding domoticz in the loop you can set up quite sophisticated if/then etc rules, especially if you're handy with lua.

Voice control maybe next.. !!

Not LightwaveRF (I don't think) but if you've not already checked out the "SuperHouseTV" channel on YouTube I recommend it.

Mr Oxer is must see TV for home automation in my view. I like that he reminds us that home "automation" isn't being able to remotely switch on a light.

It's more like your example of increasing lights when people approach door and then dimming. I'm stealing that idea ;)

Sponsored Links
BAS: LOL - I have ensured that everything can still be used even if the automation part breaks/is removed.
theSouth: thanks for the steer... needed a new work avoidance technique now I've watched all of colinfurze's pulsejets!

That man is even more bonkers than photonicinduction.

Gotta love his pulsejet kettle and combination bread-knife-toaster though.

++
Although at least colinfurze does his stuff in a workshop with a concrete floor and not in his loft made of WOOD and CARPET!!

Photonicinduction does have the sense to venture outside when he wants to try hoovering up a pool of petrol, or spin-drying a lump of concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back