GOOD QUALITY dawn-dusk outside wall light recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a good quality wall light to illuminate the path to my front drive.

I want something that will accept something like a 60W GLS lamp or CFL equivalent, rather than a linear halogen "floodlight" bulb, and one that has a built-in dawn-dusk sensor.

I recently bought an "IQ Options Wharf bulkhead-style" fitting with a plug-in sensor, for about £24 from Screwfix, but frankly the quality is absolute @%&* and I can't seeing it lasting out the 12-month guarantee. All the plastic lugs that hold the terminal block and lampholder in place have already cracked, as have the corners of the glass. The sensor also fills up with water when it rains.

Any suggestions, please? I'm happy to spend up to £50 or so for something that will last.

BTW, I'm aware of Part P of the Building Regs etc. etc. ;)

Cheers,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd opt for a seperate photocell and bulkhead fitting.

Zodion are the best on the market, and the most commonly used.

I'd use something like a PL bulkhead or floodlight.

I really like low energy floodlights, they are reliable, the lamps well outlast their halogen counterpart, and they are cheap to run.

Clicky

Clicky

Clicky

In my experience the magic eye type photocells like the one in your link tend not to be as reliable as a proper photocell, and they can also have problems switching low energy lamps.

As for a decorative fittings, you can use whatever you like.

A coach lantern fitted with a low energy lamp looks nice.

Sponsored Links
A belated thanks, Robin.

Their range looks superb. Expensive, but good value if they last. Definitely what I'll go for when the Screwfix one dies.

Cheers,
Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back