Good saw horse

Sponsored Links
I make my own. From wood.
Have a non foldable and foldable set.

The Toughgbuilt are absolute rubbish. Initially they are very strong and quite rigid, but the fold-out mechanisms are a hotch-potch of screws, nuts, steel plates, steel tubes, washers, etc which over time in the back of a van tend to shake themselves loose and you end up loosing stuff. I had a pair - for the first 6 months they were great, if a tad heavy, BUT they eventually loosened up and started to shed bits and pieces. I rebuilt mine twice before I became fed-up with the whole process, re-evaluated my needs, and went off and bought a pair of DW trestles (to each of which I screwed a piece of 4 x 2 CLS). The DWs incidentally clip together - something the Toughbuilt's don't do - making them easier to carry and transport. Another claim made by the Toughbuilt people is that you can make-up a bench by dropping a "4 x 2" into the ends of the tops and plonking on a piece of plywood, etc. Well, unless you have skinny undersize scants, ordinary 4 x 2 CLS is too thick, and you can forget about 4 x 2 PAR or rough-sawn - a fine example of Americanism which fails miserably in our market. My DW trestles on the other are now 2-1/2 years old, are used regularly, even having served as the cutting table on site with up to 8 joiners for more than a year, and apart from losing that odd shaped steel cleat a couple of times (replaced with two screws and Loctite) they've worked flawlessly. They are big, and they are heavy, though, not to mention pricey (well not really - mine cost about £5 each than the price on the Toughbuilts you posted - £145 for a pair) but look like I'll have them with me for a while yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The Stanley ones any good?

Not a full time chippy but want a pair to last a long time and do the job well. Worth paying another 40 quid extra for quality if you're keeping it 30yrs

Last edited:
I just knock up a set from pallet timber free and just burn (in wood stove)when worn .

I have the C700 sawhorses. I don't use mine anywhere near as extensively as J&K does so mine have lasted over six months without issues. They are a bit heavy to carry but the slim nature means I just stack one on top of the other in the garage.

I've not used mine as a worksurface. The metal clamp on each side comes out to accommodate various sizes of timber but it doesn't clamp the wood as firmly as I'd like and it can move a little. I stuck in a six foot piece of 4x2 and it stood proud of the surface by a couple of mm. When I used a plunge saw and rail to rip the timber, the rail needed some shims to keep it level because of the discrepancy. But otherwise I managed to get the work done without much issue.

Wouldn't take the gift of those metal clanking horses.
You can't beat wooden. Especially when they fold.

Wouldn't take the gift of those metal clanking horses
Had you ever used a DW mitre saw base you'd understand that they don't clank, rather they open smoothly and the legs lock properly each and every time (the DW trestles are basically their short mitre saw base less the pull-out arms) and that they clip together for transport. But the Toughbuilt, on the other hand........

The problem with traditional fixed wooden sawing stools as you may be aware is that they are just too darned big for the back of a small van like a Berlingo or a Doblo; they take-up far too much space. I'd like to see your folding trestles (or anyone else's for that matter) to see if they really do look up to the task of carrying a heavy load. To date I have yet to see an all-wood design which works in my environment - my DWs have been used to support a dozen sheets and more of 18mm MDF on occasions (or circa 400kg)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Stanley ones any good?

Not a full time chippy but want a pair to last a long time and do the job well. Worth paying another 40 quid extra for quality if you're keeping it 30yrs
The ones with the folding legs, like these:
Stanley folding sawing stools 001_01.jpg

are very compact and light for storage and transport, clip together and are supplied with a shoulder strap, however, the eyes used for the shoulder strap are quite fragile and invariably break quite quickly, the plastic folding braces (which keep the legs apart) can fail at the centre hinge after a while, and the lightweight steel legs are retained by moulded-in plastic lugs (underneath the body) which are prone to eventual breakages if the tops are forced sideways when under load. I feel that they might benefit from a bit of a redesign as they are too lightly made in areas. 30 years? More like 30 months or so IMHO. The compactness and light weight are a real boon, fit for use by a lone tradesman but a bit of a liability on a construction site in my experience (I've had two sets of them)

my DWs have been used to support a dozen sheets and more of 18mm MDF on occasions

I'd happily set 600kg unto my folding wooden saw horses and be confident they wouldn't fail.
Its all in the design. And spare google/utube as you won't find anything like them.

I'd happily set 600kg unto my folding wooden saw horses and be confident they wouldn't fail.
Its all in the design. And spare google as you won't find anything like them.
Then show them so that we may all learn

Their on site at the moment. Might snap them tomorrow if I have time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back