Good saw horse

The Toughgbuilt are absolute rubbish. Initially they are very strong and quite rigid, but the fold-out mechanisms are a hotch-potch of screws, nuts, steel plates, steel tubes, washers, etc which over time in the back of a van tend to shake themselves loose and you end up loosing stuff. I had a pair - for the first 6 months they were great, if a tad heavy, BUT they eventually loosened up and started to shed bits and pieces. I rebuilt mine twice before I became fed-up with the whole process, re-evaluated my needs, and went off and bought a pair of DW trestles (to each of which I screwed a piece of 4 x 2 CLS). The DWs incidentally clip together - something the Toughbuilt's don't do - making them easier to carry and transport. Another claim made by the Toughbuilt people is that you can make-up a bench by dropping a "4 x 2" into the ends of the tops and plonking on a piece of plywood, etc. Well, unless you have skinny undersize scants, ordinary 4 x 2 CLS is too thick, and you can forget about 4 x 2 PAR or rough-sawn - a fine example of Americanism which fails miserably in our market. My DW trestles on the other are now 2-1/2 years old, are used regularly, even having served as the cutting table on site with up to 8 joiners for more than a year, and apart from losing that odd shaped steel cleat a couple of times (replaced with two screws and Loctite) they've worked flawlessly. They are big, and they are heavy, though, not to mention pricey (well not really - mine cost about £5 each than the price on the Toughbuilts you posted - £145 for a pair) but look like I'll have them with me for a while yet

Which one would you recommend?-

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=dewalt saw horse

Sponsored Links
The ones that I and a number of colleagues have bought are the DE7035 ones.
deWalt DE7035 Trestles 001_01.jpg

Very heavy duty, durable, but pricey. Mine came in at about £140 a pair. Mine each have a length of 4 x 2 CLS attached to the tops - wear strips/protection and I can even nail stuff onto them when needed

The lighter 7802s you also linked to are actually relabeled Stanley XMSs (DW and Stanley are the same firm these days) and are recent additions to the DW range - sorry if that caused you any confusion - and they have the same cheap, lightweight legs and plastic leg spreaders as the cheaper ones (qv) which I suspect won't be long-lived.
Stanley XMS Trestles 001_01.JPG

I still have a set of Stanley 1-97-475 trestles:
Stanley 1-97-475 Trestles 001_01.jpg

They are light, but a bit fragile for the environment I work in. I'm still trying to figure out ways to make them more durable because the size/weight are really good.

What I'd really like to see, though, is those super, duper heavyweight home-made ones we were promised some pics of a while back. If there is a way to build a truly portable, super strong wooden trestle, then I for one am in. Still no time to photograph them, Rog?

The ones that I and a number of colleagues have bought are the DE7035 ones.
View attachment 133557
Very heavy duty, durable, but pricey. Mine came in at about £140 a pair. Mine each have a length of 4 x 2 CLS attached to the tops - wear strips/protection and I can even nail stuff onto them when needed

The lighter 7802s you also linked to are actually relabeled Stanley XMSs (DW and Stanley are the same firm these days) and are recent additions to the DW range - sorry if that caused you any confusion - and they have the same cheap, lightweight legs and plastic leg spreaders as the cheaper ones (qv) which I suspect won't be long-lived.
View attachment 133559

I still have a set of Stanley 1-97-475 trestles:
View attachment 133558
They are light, but a bit fragile for the environment I work in. I'm still trying to figure out ways to make them more durable because the size/weight are really good.

What I'd really like to see, though, is those super, duper heavyweight home-made ones we were promised some pics of a while back. If there is a way to build a truly portable, super strong wooden trestle, then I for one am in. Still no time to photograph them, Rog?

Those pricey but good ones, how you attach the 4 by 2 CLS? Self tapping screws? And do they fold up quite small? I don't mind weight just not bulk

Sponsored Links
Those pricey but good ones, how you attach the 4 by 2 CLS? Self tapping screws? And do they fold up quite small? I don't mind weight just not bulk
Drilled two holes through the aluminium tops and screwed the 4 x 2s from the underside. I'll pull them out tomorrow and post a pic.

A long time ago I used to carry round fixed wooden trestles back in the days when I had a Transit Luton. When I downsized to a Partner they were just too big, so I tried folding wooden and then folding plastic ones (ZAG - nowadays made by Stanley). The difficulty is that if you have a small van like a Kangoo, Berlingo, etc they take up too much space if you want to stack them by the side wall or against the bulkhead (assuming that you have one) so they invariably end up plonked on top of the rest of your kit in the middle of the van. In that position they have a tendency to slide around all over the place and inevitably bits get knocked off (the wooden ones are much worse in that respect). Hence the move to first to the Tough Builts (which turned out not to be) and then the DWs. I admit that my choice has been partly dictated by having moved to a smaller van, but 45 to 50mpg vs. 20 to 25mpg was really a major decider in that at the time

Drilled two holes through the aluminium tops and screwed the 4 x 2s from the underside. I'll pull them out tomorrow and post a pic.

A long time ago I used to carry round fixed wooden trestles back in the days when I had a Transit Luton. When I downsized to a Partner they were just too big, so I tried folding wooden and then folding plastic ones (ZAG - nowadays made by Stanley). The difficulty is that if you have a small van like a Kangoo, Berlingo, etc they take up too much space if you want to stack them by the side wall or against the bulkhead (assuming that you have one) so they invariably end up plonked on top of the rest of your kit in the middle of the van. In that position they have a tendency to slide around all over the place and inevitably bits get knocked off (the wooden ones are much worse in that respect). Hence the move to first to the Tough Builts (which turned out not to be) and then the DWs. I admit that my choice has been partly dictated by having moved to a smaller van, but 45 to 50mpg vs. 20 to 25mpg was really a major decider in that at the time

The DE7025 saw horse or leg stand holds a mitre saw as well and I think my one-

Ds365. It's cordless.

https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/dewa...V-GRWpqIZhsSeuySYb5k6qJIhvLoWPmxoC-WoQAvD_BwE

Hope the screwed in wood on top of saw horse won't affect attaching it. This saw horse seems like a great all round bit of kit

It shouldn't do, although you will need to unscrew the timber to lamp the saw on - the saw mounting rails clamp to the edges of the aluminium profile, as below:

dewalt-dcs365m2-mitre-saw-2_1.jpg

It shouldn't do, although you will need to unscrew the timber to lamp the saw on - the saw mounting rails clamp to the edges of the aluminium profile, as below:

dewalt-dcs365m2-mitre-saw-2_1.jpg

I guess if it's long wood on the mitre saw it is not supported at the ends like on specific mitre saw stand though

No, but as you'd probably be buying two trestles the second one can be temporarily blocked up to the height of the mitre saw table using screws or nails and a bit of scrap.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back