Google Nest Mini's needing a reboot, any cure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The google Nest mini's have been working fine for a couple of years, but at the moment they are very necessary due to wife's knee operation, the dinning room has been turned into her bedroom, and the wall light switch changes to a Tado smart switch so she can turn on the lights from her bed, and also call for help when required.

It would be now when we rely on the Nest Mini's when they decide to play up, and become unresponsive. Not all but not just one either, my bedroom one also has decided to go on strike as well. Easy to get them working again, just unplug and plug in again. However my wife was in real distress last night when she dropped her crutches, and I could not here her shouting.

So any ideas on how to stop Nest Mini's going on strike?

Sponsored Links
Most things like tablets and phones you push and hold the off button till it starts rebooting (seems like ages) I had a quick google and found this if any help.
  1. Switch the mic off using the microphone mute switch on your Nest Mini.
  2. Press and hold on the top of the speaker where you see the LED lights until the speaker confirms it's resetting. ...
  3. Release after the confirmation and wait for your speaker to complete the process.

However my wife was in real distress last night when she dropped her crutches, and I could not here her shouting.

A wireless doorbell or emergencies and /or a mobile phone?

Why or how it works, I don't know, but...

I found smart switches dropping off my lan quite often. Since I set up some software to ping each one every 30 minutes of so, the failing to respond and needing a reboot, dropped to almost zero. I've had the Fire devices lock up, even more rarely, but I've not tried pinging those.

When I first fitted the switch, I also fitted a remote button, so she could switch lights on/off without use of google Nest Mini or phone, but she said she didn't need it, so reused as a door bell.

It is of course panic, and she never thought of ringing me with her mobile. I hear her talking/shouting at the Nest Mini's so often, never realised she was talking to me, the previous light switches were Energenie and we had remote controls Remote control.jpgwhich don't use wifi or hub or router, they work direct with switch, however of five switches only two still working, so moved to LP-Link (Tapo) as said the button 1689159649656.png is magnetic so can also be mounted nearly anywhere, and was on the steel bed frame to start with, but I had linked to google home which I thought was good enough, she could either use the app with phone or voice commands, but google home also had a hissy fit, and would not work.

In the end found out how to let wife work the switch direct from phone Me-1.jpg it took some finding how, as when I googled tapo I in fact got tado so was reading wrong instructions. I just had not noticed d instead of p in the results.

The Nest Mini's were only got as no FM radio reception, and in the main they work well, the early version with USB power are a little deaf when already playing music, the latter ones with coaxial power connections are better. I now use them all the time to help with spelling, and to relay messages through the house, it does some times change the message, "diners ready" comes out as "come and get it" and do get "I don't know how to do that yet" and "Something went wrong" but in the main they have been good.

So for them to fall over completely was not expected. I have wondered if I need to unplug all then plug them back in, think eight in all, so would take some time to go around them all.

Sponsored Links
So for them to fall over completely was not expected. I have wondered if I need to unplug all then plug them back in, think eight in all, so would take some time to go around them all.

As said before - the ping software on my laptop, seems to (mostly) avoid that problem. PingInfoView - I have it load at startup, then it just makes a noise on the laptop, should a ping fail more than once.

Mine occasionally loose connection but if your wife has a mobile all can be controlled from the Google home app.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back