Google Nest Temperature Sensor, anyone used them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2021-12-20_14-45-37.png
upload_2021-12-20_14-45-56.png
Sold as pack of three, at £136.80 so £45.60 each, so not cheap.

I have a small problem hall cools down too slowly, i.e. slower than the living room, so these would help, but a lot of money to fork out if they don't work, already been caught out by Nest, it claimed Energenie MiHome TRV heads worked with it, and they don't, seems support withdrawn when Google took over Nest, I have Nest Gen 3.

Up to now only seen for US market, their Nest is different to ours. I was not sure if posting in electric UK or plumbing, but it is clearly electric even if for central heating.

Nest Website said:
Which Nest thermostats are compatible with the Nest Temperature Sensor?
The Nest Temperature Sensor works with the following thermostats:

• Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd generation
  • Nest Thermostat E
For the following countries:

• United States
  • Canada
  • Mexico
If you’re not sure which Nest thermostat you have, see the following article:

">How to tell which Nest thermostat you have >

Important: As long as you purchased your thermostat from a retailer in one of the countries listed above, it should work with the sensor. Thermostats designed for use in other countries, however, are not currently compatible with the sensor. The app will prevent you from adding the sensor to a thermostat designed for use in any other country.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't bother.

Research the options. The smart rad valves have the temp sensors in them.

Thermostats are expensive and dont do anything productive.

Shift the workload to the device doing the heating.

I say look at heating company solutions, not tech company.

Honeywell, Drayton, etc

Not sure what you mean by "Smart" TRV heads? I have these 61dmtMm13BL.jpg IMGP8035.jpg fitted, 5 eQ-3 and 4 Energenie. But these are not as "Smart" as Drayton Wiser which uses algorithms to heat fast without any hysteresis.

I can control heating, what I can't control is cooling. To stop any over shoot the heating temperature increases 0.5°C every two hours during the day, then drops back down over night, I don't like it warm when in bed.

It seems clear in hind sight google Nest Gen 3 was not the best option, I found I have one faulty wire on the triple and earth, main house to flat under house with boiler in it, also colours change from red, yellow, blue to brown, black, grey, so did not want low voltage or high current down the two wires, so Nest can keep battery charged, and work both DHW and CH with two wires, 12 volt only, and was claimed to work with Energenie which I already had, so seemed a good option at the time.

It works, but not as it should, to rip out and start again it not really what I want, but adding sensors to ensure boiler fires up seems a easy way out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back