Google nexus 5 the iPhone killer

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
This is one for the tech bods, securespark and maybe even EddieM, decent spec and priced pretty well too and it has the latest OS 'Kit-Kat' after google signed a deal with Nestle so expect later OS's to be named after more biscuits, before the tie in the next OS was going to be 'Lime pie'

Any, i might well treat myself to this one

http://news.sky.com/story/1162352/google-nexus-5-phone-with-kitkat-revealed

Sponsored Links
Already got the nexus 4, pretty good phone and soon to get kit kat. Google dropped the price because of the n5 so a bargain if still in stock.

How do you get a 5 inch screen in your pocket? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yeah, as you say, the next OS version was to be 5.0: Key Lime Pie, but they had a sharp turn-about and decided on a commercial venture with Nestle: 4.4: KitKat.

They reckon they keep a lot in the fridge and they are a snack the development team scoff a load of and as not many people know what Key Lime Pie tastes of, they thought they'd swap.

But the crafty devils kept referring to it as KLP, even after deciding to switch to KK, keeping the change a secret.

A lot of people are not very happy about the joint venture, seeing how Nestle has faced criticism in the past for the way it promoted powdered baby milk in the developing world.

Not a bad piece of kit for the money.

Sells for $349 in the US (16GB). As usual, that does not equate to £219 here, but CPW sell it for £295 SIM-free.

The 32GB model is $399 in the US, or £339 from Google UK.

Cracking bit of kit for the money compared to say what a sim free S3 or S4 would cost, I remember seeing them for over £500 sim free

I confess that I'm far from being an expert on smart phones, so I need to ask a few questions.

If it is 'SIM free', does that mean that I can use my existing SIM card from my current phone, which is on pay as you go?

I presume that, in order to use the phone for internet access, I'd have to take out some sort of contract. What would that entail, and what is it likely to cost?

Yes you can use any sim. No need for a contract as long as your payg sim supports data. If it doesn't you can transfer your no to a new payg sim which does. I pay 10 quid a month for unlimited text and internet plus 10 quid in calls with t mobile. If I was starting fresh I would probably go for giffgaff sim. The nexus uses a micro sim which is smaller than a normal sim. You can cut your old sim to size using templates online or ask your provider for a new one or by moving to a new provider and asking for the appropriate type of sim.

You'd probably need a 4g sim to get the full benefits too, the reason sim free phones are more expensive is because there is no 2 year contract for the network to recoup the handset cost, this is how the tariffs are worked out

Yes, as rjm says, you can use any SIM you like. You can put your existing SIM in there, even PAYG.

As long as it is already set up for internet and access, you should be OK.

You'd have to check your PAYG rates for how much you pay to access internet and email.

If you're just using it for voice and text at the moment, 3 have got the best PAYG rates at the moment.

321:

3p minute calls

2p texts

1p MB data

Now, for data, that would work out quite dear, compared to, for example, a Virgin SIM only deal where you get 1200 minutes, UL texts and 1GB for £12/month.

But PAYG rates are always dearer than contract or SIM only rates. It's just a case of shopping around, but the most vital thing before anything else is to make sure you get the level of coverage you need, followed (to my mind) by good customer service, followed by decent rates.

Obviously you may have different priorities. Some folk aren't that bothered about CS, for example. Some folk don't mind paying a bit more to get decent CS, with a call centre in the UK, for example.

As I suggested in another thread, you could get hold of a free PAYG SIM for the carrier you think is best for you, put a fiver on it and bung it in a spare phone to see what the coverage is like. You can also ring CS and see what their service is like.

If you don't have an unlocked phone, it is worth remembering that many mobile providers are MVNO's (Mobile Virtual Network Operators) and they "piggy-back" off other carriers networks.

So, for example, if you have a
Vodafone locked handset, an Asda mobile SIM will work in it.

I can list from memory who piggy-backs off who (as of November 2013), but can't promise this list is complete. If anybody wants to add to or correct it, please feel free.

Asda - Vodafone (But will swap to EE. Current service with Voda will terminate end April 2014)

Sainsburys - Vodafone

Tesco - O2

Virgin - T Mobile

GiffGaff - O2

Talk Mobile - Vodafone.

Lebara - Orange

Family Mobile - T Mobile

Lycamobile - Orange

Talktalk Mobile - Vodafone

Vectone - EE

So, you can see from the list that if you have a Virgin-locked handset, you can use it with the new Asda SIMs (on EE), Lebara, Lyca, Family Mobile, and Vectone SIM cards without unlocking.

If you have an O2-locked handset, you can use Tesco Mobile or GiffGaff SIM cards without unlocking.

However, if you want a SIM-free phone, don't always pay the SIM-free price!

CPW sells most (and I stress MOST) phones unlocked anyway. Even if you buy a PAYG handset on T mobile, they just get a handset and a T Mobile SIM, you pay a tenner to top up and put the two together. But it's generally unlocked. IF IN DOUBT, ASK (DISCREETLY) BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!

I'm not responsible for anyone walking out with what they think is an unlocked handset which turns out not to be!

You can even PAYG upgrade and not pay the tenner top up fee. In the past, I have used a spare O2 SIM card (O2 are the favourite because they allow upgrades) to buy a handset on upgrade. That way, you get it cheaper because you don't have to top up.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG_GALAXY_ACE_2/PPAY?colourCode=BLACK

You can save £30 on Ace 2 by not buying the "Talk Mobile" one.

CPW sells most (and I stress MOST) phones unlocked anyway. Even if you buy a PAYG handset on T mobile, they just get a handset and a T Mobile SIM, you pay a tenner to top up and put the two together. But it's generally unlocked. IF IN DOUBT, ASK (DISCREETLY) BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!

Don't be discreet,its your money so ask for what you want.

All I'm saying is, don't yell it out loud to the whole shop!

Sponsored Links
Back