Google photo backup question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve always had an iPhone since iPhone 3 and I pay for backup photo storage on my account over the free amount. Only 79p a month I think. A few years ago I had a brief affair with a Samsung so photos were backed up on Google drive. Both backups have the same photos on. Lately I’ve been getting messages from Google saying it’s getting near to full but if I delete photos from Google it also deletes them from iCloud. I’ve just got a message saying it’s full and I can’t save any more on there. I don’t use it. Ever. So, if I just ignore it, will photos just be backed up to my iCloud?

Sponsored Links
Check the capacity on your google drive, it tells you your getting full even when you have several gb of space left of the free 15gb.

You can upgrade to google one for about £1 a month, that gives you 100gb of space.

A standard Google account includes 15GB of storage, but that's shared across all Google services including Drive, email, photos and plenty more.
If you only use it for photos, then you can just continue to use the Apple storage, the Google photo backup can be switched off.
However if it's used for other Google services you will need to remove some of the files, as other things will stop working.

A standard Google account includes 15GB of storage, but that's shared across all Google services including Drive, email, photos and plenty more.
If you only use it for photos, then you can just continue to use the Apple storage, the Google photo backup can be switched off.
However if it's used for other Google services you will need to remove some of the files, as other things will stop working.
That’s the trouble. I’m getting messages that my gmail is getting full and that I might not be able to review E messages. I just want to delete the photos on there without also deleting them from my iCloud but they seem to be linked.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the Google photo backup/sync on the phone which will prevent any photos being added and also prevent existing ones being deleted.
Leave whatever the Apple equivalent is switched on so that still creates backups there.

Then go to https://photos.google.com/ to delete what's not required. If you have any videos, they are likely to be the largest sizes by far, so delete those first. There is a link to the storage there which will show what it's being used for.
Search for large emails in gmail as well, as it doesn't take many massive attachments to very quickly fill up space there.

CBA mucking around for now. Just upgraded from 15Gb to 100Gb for £16 for a year.

Back