Google maps has changed

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found Google Maps Classic very useful on my computer especially as when viewing some towns an aerial/oblique view is available when you zoom in.

Unfortunately, as software developers love to do for some reason, they appear to have changed Google maps now from what used to be a perfectly usable version.

When I try to open Google Maps in Firefox, I am instantly connected to the 'Lite' version, which has very restricted features. I have looked into this on the internet and, following advice, have checked and confirmed that my computer has all the required assets to permit use of the full 3D version, including the fact that Firefox is fully up to date. Despite this, when I click the 'Switch back to full Maps' (the lightning flash in the bottom right of the screen) nothing happens.

Has anyone else had this experience and, if so, were you able to overcome it?

Sponsored Links
Win 8.1 pro - Google maps in latest - Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera (Chrome version). Left click the lightening icon - text balloon offers toggle Lite or Full, [edit ->] And this works ok both ways.

Pre Chrome engined Opera browser gets this :-
You're in Lite mode
Your browser version may not support the full Google Maps. Learn more

As an aside - With Bing maps - one gets OS map besides the other views including 'Birdseye' where available.
If one 'signs in' say with a hotmail account (works for me) one can send a route by e-mail - just a code - double clicking this opens Bing Maps with the route inserted and directions as originally shown.

Bristol has this :- http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/knowyourplace/

I wonder if other places have this type of free resource ?

One can overlay historical onto present day maps - useful if analysing building plots - what lies under the ground - my friend opted out of some land because old mapping showed a valley with old mines and a stream running through prior to valley infill at some later time.
-0-

IMO its got worse - I always go back to classic.

As a Truck Driver I use Google Maps extensively to "Pre-Drive" tricky bits.

I absolutely detest the new version.

Sponsored Links
Win 8.1 pro - Google maps in latest - Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera (Chrome version). Left click the lightening icon - text balloon offers toggle Lite or Full, [edit ->] And this works ok both ways.

I use Windows7 (wouldn't touch W8 with a bargepole). When I left click the lightining icon it offers to load the full version, and does, but it is impossible to get the 'Earth' display; just the simple road map. In order to have aerial/oblique views, the Earth display is necessary.

I just wish the Google would stop trying to 'improve' their mapping site. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There should be a small square down the bottom left of your screen that changes it to satellite view.

6NE4IZL.jpg

Yes, I believe so.

I don't know what 'No-script' is! I certainly haven't installed it.

I have since discovered, however, that I can open the new version of Google Maps in its full version using Chrome, and see oblique/aerial views. Why it should work in Chrome and not Firefox I don't know.

Oh, wait... Chrome is owned by Google, isn't it?! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back