Nokia Ovi Maps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone use it?
I use it & find it very good, I don't do a lot of mileage, so didn't warrant buying a dedicated sat nav.
The problem I have is if I put a route in (one just completed) it shows 97 miles, the actual was 140, Google maps shows it has 140.
The Ovi map is showing a straight line mileage, I have googled & cannot find how to get the road mileage, any users out there with suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Anyone use it?
I use it & find it very good, I don't do a lot of mileage, so didn't warrant buying a dedicated sat nav.
The problem I have is if I put a route in (one just completed) it shows 97 miles, the actual was 140, Google maps shows it has 140.
The Ovi map is showing a straight line mileage, I have googled & cannot find how to get the road mileage, any users out there with suggestions.

Did you travel via a tunnel, at any part of the journey? Satnavs are not so good in tunnels.

Sponsored Links
Channel Tunnel 31.4 miles Rail
St Gottard Tunnel 10.5 miles Road
Hadron Collider Tunnel 16.6 miles Guess
Arlberg Tunnel 8.7 miles Road

Under construction but rail tunnel like Channel Tunnel
New Gottard Tunnel 35.5 miles

Guess its not a tunnel issue then.

Perhaps you just didn't follow the instructions and guidance?

I'm guilty as charged myself on that one. Not taing orders from some stoopid woman, what does she know about map reading.

Some vehicles have an aversion to satnavs, due to the amount of window tint used, or devices used for clearing the windscreen rapidly, namely Renault, and Ford, and recommend the use of an external aerial for satnav use.

Do you use either vehicle?

I have a Ford.
Thats not the issue, I set the route before I am in the car.

I have a Ford.
Thats not the issue, I set the route before I am in the car.

I think you miss the point...More modern Fords have a quick clear windscreen, that has a fine wire mesh within the laminate. The satnav needs to be seen by 3 satellites ALL OF THE TIME on the journey, the wire mesh within the screen, blocks out those signals. Otherwise it drops it's signal, and cannot give accurate information, throughout the journey.

Hence your problem. It may work mostly, but not always. Read your Ford users manual for details about using a Satnav, and the implications of why it won't work in certain circumstances. It may tell you the correct path to go, but if you deviated from that path, would seemingly struggle to re-establish a signal for several moments, due to deflections of the signal, and interference from say tall buildings, and built up areas.

Various car alarms have a similar problem, by microwave interference, generally from shopping centres automatic door systems, that I once wrote a paper on.

And anyone with a speed camera detection device would tell you that they get false negatives, when driving within that environment.

And as a counter argument.
I have NO problem with my satnavs in the car and i have the mesh windscreen.

You are right about the possibility and the manufacturers warning. They are just covering themselves that's all.

Some vehicles have an aversion to satnavs, Ford,
I have a ford transit connect with a heated front screen, i have never had an issue with either a proper sat nav or my phones sat nav! although it loses the signal after a 1/4 mile in the new hindhead tunnel! :LOL:

Various car alarms have a similar problem, by microwave interference, generally from shopping centres automatic door systems, that I once wrote a paper on.

Was it published, where can we read this. As the only reference I have is they may have interfered with speed cams.

So you say the whole car is now a faraday cage, so why do mobiles work in Fords then?

Was it published, where can we read this. As the only reference I have is they may have interfered with speed cams.

So you say the whole car is now a faraday cage, so why do mobiles work in Fords then?
Should be interesting. Allowing for signal dissipation and the inverse square law, that's going to be one hell of a transmitter. Duck cooking potential how we used to describe it.

Sponsored Links
Back