Got Moisture between Foil Backed Board and roof board - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been building my wooden garage and its almost finished the last little bit left to to is to finish installing the roof insulation and board over it.

the roof stucture is as follows from outside in
1) asphalt shingles
2) NonBreathable Roofing underlay (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31795/Building/Roofing-Insulation/Protect-A1-Roofing-Underlay-1m-x-45m)
3) 18mm OSB Board
4) 60mm foilbacked insualtion board
3) 4mm ply boards

i had half installed some of the boards ie put a length of the insulation boards between the roof rafters and ply boarded over them, but i needed to add some extra bits up to roof ridge ridge. However as i came to fit the extra insulation i noticed that there was moisture between the back of the insulation boards and the underside of the OSB roof panels. The roof isn't leaking so i think its some sort of condensation issue. The garage door has been open so it has been pretty cold in there of late.

Will it be sorted once the rest of the boards are in place and everything plyed over? or do i have some other problem?

also do the insulation boards need taping round the edges to the rafters before panelling? as there may be some small airgaps round the edges in a few places between the insultion boards and the rafters, or where the insulation boards meet each other

thanks for any advice

cheers

Sponsored Links
You are right. You have condensation above the insulation boards. Unfortunately the only way to resolve this is ventilate above the boards; either by stripping the roof and re-covering with a breathable membrane or ventilating the existing structure. I don't think the latter is really possible in your case because of the OSB sarking board and the small gap between insulation and that board.

The situation will be improved by adding a vapour barrier to the underside before plasterboarding but this is no guarantee of eliminating condensation and it wouldn't comply with building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back