Gothic People

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went out last night and went into a pub where the clientele were all Gothic people. Very strangely dressed and the music (if thats what you can call it) left a lot to be desired. Needless to say 20 minutes of the views and sounds was all I could take and we made a sharp exit for the normal niteclubs where i ogled the females all night.
:cool:

Any body know anything about these people and what it is all about as I have never seen anything like it before. Dyed black hair, body and facial piercings, weird hairstyles and clothing were the norm.
Crazy people :eek:

Sponsored Links
Bahco said:
Went out last night and went into a pub where the clientele were all Gothic people. Very strangely dressed and the music (if thats what you can call it) left a lot to be desired. Needless to say 20 minutes of the views and sounds was all I could take and we made a sharp exit for the normal niteclubs where i ogled the females all night.
:cool:

Any body know anything about these people and what it is all about as I have never seen anything like it before. Dyed black hair, body and facial piercings, weird hairstyles and clothing were the norm.
Crazy people :eek:

goths aint crazy!!
and at least the music isnt some idiot throwing bricks off a keyboard and calling it music.... (and some computer enhanced singing - after all, they couldnt sing without it)

My best mate's a goth (although her favourite colour is, um, pink).

I don't think it's meant to be taken too seriously, it's just a bit of an effort to look individual. Having said that, even Beth says that what she calls the "baby-goths" of this town all look the same now!

Personally it's never interested me, especially the clothes. I suppose some of the music appeals (though it's mostly what you's call mainstream - Linkin Park, Rasmus etc) but yes I agree a lot of it is, well, noise.

We're lucky here in Grantham to have a fab little local which really is a "melting pot" with gay/straight, goth/accountant friends all able to enjoy a good night out, together.

And on that note, here's Beth and I on my 25th birthday night this year, much the worse for wear at about 2am...

ScreenHunter_043.jpg

Sponsored Links
I was a goth back in the '80s when what was considered Goth in those days was stuff like The Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, Fields of The Nephilim, The Cure and even All About Eve to a degree, and it was mostly about the music and dressing in black and maybe back-combing your hair was a side-issue. I was an Essex boy back then, and my hangouts were The Castle in Brentwood, and The Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh, if anyone knows the area, and Snakebite and Black my drink. Then I moved to Leeds which is, after all, the home of Goth, and The Phono, under the Merrion centre became my new home.

I still go to a Goth night about once a year with my old friends and it is always madness compared to the old days - The way people dress is far more extreme and verges on the fancy dress. Also, the music such as your Limp Bizkits or Marilyn Manson isn't really goth as I would understand it, but more of a costumed version of heavy rock.

I think that the difference is that back then, this was very much alternative music compared to the S-A-W based mainstream, and you were considered to be on the outside. Nowadays, 'alternative' music very much influences the mainstream, so what was alternative is now considered everyday (thinking back a bit further, the Sex Pistols were considered unbelievably extreme, but would be seen as quite a toe-tapper these days), which is why people have to go that bit further if they want to be seen as being alternative.

Still enjoy it all though - Just a shame I'm having to eBay off my records slowly but surely to buy a new pram :cry:

Both my daughters have been through the goth phase. It is purely a style thing. My youngest daughter, finally started wearing colours (other than black and red), a couple of years ago and now appears to be completely cured :)

Although I have never been a goth, I think I may have inadvertantly influenced my youngest in this direction. I took her to see Alice Cooper live. This is one of the few acts where you can take a daughter without either of you feeling out of place. (his fan base covers a very wide age range). After this concert she became a keen fan, and moved on to all the other goth stuff.

I must confess, that from the goths I got to know, they seem a pretty decent bunch. Neither of my daughters partners have ever been interested in the goth scene, so they seem to have now grown out of it completely.

TexMex said:
Both my daughters have been through the goth phase. It is purely a style thing. My youngest daughter, finally started wearing colours (other than black and red), a couple of years ago and now appears to be completely cured :)

im the only 'goth' in my family. parents are somewhat normal and my sis is a charv. i was brought up around pop/dance but always liked the rock songs more

Earlier this summer I was staying in Whitby at the same time as there was a goth festival going on. Some of the sights were pretty extreme and it was a great weekend. There are a couple of pubs where they hang out and as we were walking past on Saturday evening a few of them turned up in an old hearse all decked out in purple velvet inside. There was also a guy standing on the pavement getting kitted up in a rusty suit of armour! Some of the girls looked really sexy but others had just made a token effort.
One of the strangest occassions was when we were sitting in a Thai restaurant and the front windows were frosted at the bottom. I was facing this window and all I could see was the tops of peoples heads as they walked past the outside. I saw a few lacy veil-type things, a few top hats of various sizes, a pair of antlers :eek: and the tops of some very interesting-looking haircuts. It was frustrating not to be able to see what the rest of the owners looked like.

Sponsored Links
Back