Gout and arthritis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many people have been diagnosed with gout or arthritis? How many are taking the pills pushed by the GPs? Me personally was diagnosed with arthritis about 25 years ago then about 15 years ago they changed their minds and said I had gout, I had a few other ailments and came to the conclusion that there was a common denominator, first I suspected Lyme disease which came back negative then I heard about bacteria forming in root canal fillings which was also ruled out, by this (last year) I couldn't walk to the end of the road and going around B&Q I was supporting my weight on the trolley, if I drunk too much scotch my hand swelled up like a balloon and the quacks were still pumping me with diclofenac and paracetemol then my wife bought me a book "No Grain No Pain" although my knees aren't perfect I've no problem taking the dogs for a walk and haven't taken any painkillers for months, basically it involves removing anything derived from grains from your diet e.g. Flour which includes bread, pasta, pizza, pastry, biscuits and unfortunately scotch, also beer and lager although cider, wine and brandy and the likes are OK as they are not products of grains, the author also reckons that grains are the cause of a lot of other ailments such as MS, certain cancers, migraines, diabetes etc etc, well worth the £15 from Amazon and if this post helps just one person I've done my good deed for the year.

Sponsored Links
It's a great idea in theory to avoid all foods derived from grains, as it is believed that we weren't really supposed to eat these types of foods. Man's diet was originally quite basic, consisting of mainly meat, seeds, nuts, fruit and vegetables. Evolution hasn't necessarily given our gi tracts the ability to properly digest the g wheat, rice, pasta, bread, barley, rye, etc.

Trouble is, the grain foods are cheap fillers and much of the world relies on them to bulk out more expensive ingredients.Satisfying your appetite without cheap fillers like bread, pastry, rice, spaghetti, etc, etc will be a lot more expensive and inconvenient. Protein is expensive, so much of the world survives on cheap carbs often derived from grains. Anyone would need a good level of income to satisfy your hunger without grain based foods.

Last edited:
But what price do you put on your health Woodbine? It's not that expensive, for breakfast I have poached eggs on toasted rye bread or an omelet, I weigh myself every morning and I can stuff myself with baked potatoes, beans and a veggie burger the night before and have found I've always lost a few lbs. gap fillers include avocado on toasted rye bread, bananas, oranges etc and few packets of crisp.

Sponsored Links
My post was really a bit of general info rather than a recommendation to you personally. More of an observation that with an ever growing population, grains are used more and more as cheap fillers and for convenience. Sounds like you are reasonably disciplined, which should make it easier to avoid ingredients that are possibly troublesome.

What you wrote about our diet is true, grain is not digestible on a molecular scale and what I understand is that you can have your cake and eat it for a number of years but for a lot of people it gets to the point where things go wrong which can cause all sorts of varying ailments.

It's a great idea in theory to avoid all foods derived from grains, as it is believed that we weren't really supposed to eat these types of foods. Man's diet was originally quite basic, consisting of mainly meat, seeds, nuts, fruit and vegetables. Evolution hasn't necessarily given our gi tracts the ability to properly digest the g wheat, rice, pasta, bread, barley, rye, etc.

Trouble is, the grain foods are cheap fillers and much of the world relies on them to bulk out more expensive ingredients.Satisfying your appetite without cheap fillers like bread, pastry, rice, spaghetti, etc, etc will be a lot more expensive and inconvenient. Protein is expensive, so much of the world survives on cheap carbs often derived from grains. Anyone would need a good level of income to satisfy your hunger without grain based foods.

I think it started around the 1980's as they wanted a more fail-proof crop, they started to deliberately cause mutations in the seed (mutagenesis) to the point where they now have a load of extra chromosomes the body simply cannot digest. Something like that anyway lol

How many people have been diagnosed with gout or arthritis? How many are taking the pills pushed by the GPs? Me personally was diagnosed with arthritis about 25 years ago then about 15 years ago they changed their minds and said I had gout, I had a few other ailments and came to the conclusion that there was a common denominator, first I suspected Lyme disease which came back negative then I heard about bacteria forming in root canal fillings which was also ruled out, by this (last year) I couldn't walk to the end of the road and going around B&Q I was supporting my weight on the trolley, if I drunk too much scotch my hand swelled up like a balloon and the quacks were still pumping me with diclofenac and paracetemol then my wife bought me a book "No Grain No Pain" although my knees aren't perfect I've no problem taking the dogs for a walk and haven't taken any painkillers for months, basically it involves removing anything derived from grains from your diet e.g. Flour which includes bread, pasta, pizza, pastry, biscuits and unfortunately scotch, also beer and lager although cider, wine and brandy and the likes are OK as they are not products of grains, the author also reckons that grains are the cause of a lot of other ailments such as MS, certain cancers, migraines, diabetes etc etc, well worth the £15 from Amazon and if this post helps just one person I've done my good deed for the year.

Interestingly I am dealing with this issue right now and I'm waiting to hear back as to whether I am gluten intolerant, so I'm with you on this one. I have all sorts of irritable bowel symptoms and dry skin issues which I believe is related to diet in some way. I've always had stomach cramps and poor energy levels pretty much since puberty and now at 30 I'm really struggling. I seem to get hangover type symptoms with certain foods.

Recently had a gut test which i had to pay for privately and turns out I have very high secretory IgA which is basically inflammation in the gut which is a good indicator of digestive disease. I'm having to have a TTG antibody blood test as well shortly which will see if I'm producing gluten antibodies. I certainly feel dreadful all the time now to the point where it's a problem. I feel out of myself.

Thanks for posting anyway, gave me a chance to chat about this as I otherwide wouldn't post about it on here.

HawkEye, the book is written by an American author and they tend to repeat themselves every other sentence, I've packed the book away now as we DID have a buyer for our house!! Anyway thats another story, he says over and over again about IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) being the caused by grains and also checks are only done on about four types of gluten intolerance and there's actually about thirty if memory serves me and he said the results can be misleading, I strongly advise reading the book, if you are not to far from Bristol you can borrow mine.

One side effect I've had since I've been grain free is a loss of weight, I'm 6'2" and have worked either on the building sites or driving trucks for a living, last year I was 140kg which is 22stn in old money, I'm now down to 102kg 16stn and as I've said the only thing I've omitted from my diet is products derived from grains.

I read a similar book called ''wheat belly'' and that's available on amazon as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

How do you get on with gluten free versions? i.e. gluten free bread, cakes, savouries etc.. these are often made from rice flour or cornflour which are not grains.

My symptoms reduced a lot since I went full gluten free about 2 months ago but I still have them. I think I need to do more to heal up whatever damage was done, cut down on alcohol intake etc and take supplements to heal the gut, and probiotics.

I think your weight loss may be from being unable to eat what you used to and so you don't eat at all.. I find that most workman's cafes don't cater to dietary issues at all. I used to have the full english/bacon butties etc but they only use the bog standard white bread full of wheat and they don't have the facilities to be able to seperate food preparation areas so as not to contamine gluten free food. I've noticed a lot of bigger food chains have got good gluten free options now so it's rarely difficult eating out. Pubs/cafes etc have not caught up yet though on the whole.

In terms of alchol, cider is almost always gluten free and so is vodka. Got to watch out for largers etc.

My old lady has arhritis and she responded well to having gluten free bread etc, said it made a noticeable difference.

Found this link on the different types of gluten allergy:

https://www.verywell.com/five-different-types-of-gluten-allergy-562305

I'd be interested to see all of those 30 difference classifications. Again, thanks for the suggestion I will pick up that book.

Sponsored Links
Back