Boiler Installation/repair Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been in my current property for about 18 months, about 10 months ago I took out boiler cover with React Fast. Last month the boiler stopped heating hot water, but the central heating still worked. I called out React Fast, the guy was helpfull, diagnosed a faulty switch and ordered parts. But, the next time he came out he mentioned that there may be a charge involved, the charges went up each time I talked to him as he was discovering more and more problems. In Fairness to him the boiler is 15 years old, and previous owners have not had it serviced for years.

It will now cost between £300 and £800 to fix, this will include a powerflush. I got a quote from him for £1500 to fit a new boiler. I thought I would get another angle on things so called out British Gas, they have quoted £2540 for a new boiler but also picked up on other things like the need to replace the pipes that enter the property and a charge for informing the local authority of changes to the Gas appliances at the property. I may also get a quote from a 3rd independant plummer.

Basically I dont want to get ripped off, British Gas do seem rather expensive but I know that this is a job that needs doing right. Also, British Gas claim that they offer huge saving at the moment, god knows what they would normally charge. Can anyone suggest a good plummer in the Bristol area who would do a professional and commpetitive job? Oh, and I know now what a joke React Fast are, but the local plummers they use do seem pretty good. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Sponsored Links
CH but no DHW or vice versa is usually a faulty valve, which I would place anywhere between £60 and £200. And that is London prices as well, bit of a difference with £300-£800.
As this is an external part and is in no way, shape or form part of the actual boiler, the £1500/£2500 for the new boiler is unlikely to solve the problem.

I wonder if Reactfast work the same trick as Homeserve.

British Gas do seem rather expensive but I know that this is a job that needs doing right.

I would ask around for a recommendation for a good installer. BG can be pricey and the quality of work is only as good as the guys that are fitting the boiler. Unfortunately the size of the company has no bearing on quality.

Nice selling up by the react fast guy!

Did he actually replace the valve that was faulty? Does it all work?

Sponsored Links
It must be their cowboy wing!

They used to employ engineers on a 50% basis. The more they charge you the more they get!

Someone there at the beginning told me that no job is worth going to unless you charge a minimum of £300 !

Tony

Hi
Thanks for all the replies. I think the origional fault with the boiler was down to a micro switch that needed replacing, as the plumber took the boiler apart to replace it he found more and more problems and then said that a full powerflush was needed. I dont doubt that a powerflush is needed as the system has not been serviced for years. At present the boiler does nothing as it has been left completly inoperative by reactfast, as they assume that they are comming back to fix or replace, which they are not, I would rather give my money to a small independant local guy really. I will look around for recomendations. Let me know if anyone can recomend a plumber in the Bristol area.

"I wonder if Reactfast work the same trick as Homeserve." - what trick would that be? A quick google of reactfast shows that no-one is happy with their service and they usually suggest a new boiler regaurdless of the problem. I guess that way they can still charge £15 month but not have to do as many call outs to old boilers.

Hi

A quick google of reactfast shows that no-one is happy with their service and they usually suggest a new boiler regaurdless of the problem. I guess that way they can still charge £15 month but not have to do as many call outs to old boilers.

Their requirement is to get you to spend as much with them as possible.

You dont last long working there is you are honest and just do the small repair thats actually needed.

Rather than doing a repair they want to do a new boiler at £2500+ ( at their prices! ) So its easy for the engineer to tell you that this and that and a power flush is needed. Many customers dont know any better or take any second opinion, particularly the old and vulnerable!

Tony

"I wonder if Reactfast work the same trick as Homeserve." - what trick would that be?

Homeserve do not employ any heating engineers. They subcontract all their insurance work out to subbies at atrocious rates, and even worse strangle hold conditions: complete mushroom-management.
The obvious result you can expect from treating people that way, is that just about anyone who has half a clue runs as fast as he can as soon as he finds out how bad it really is. That leaves them with high percentages of compete dross, and they have no idea how to repair anything but the simplest of faults.
Tell-tale signs:
"Mmmmmh, could be the pcb"
"It won't be easy to get parts for this boiler"
"I'm sorry, but this one is not allowed anymore, I'll have to condemn it"

I was tricked by an agent into going to a boiler which was under a Homeserve insurance cover.

This was about 5 days before Christmas!

Part of the plastic boiler had split and sprayed mains pressure water onto the PCB cover and spoilt BOTH of the two PCBs.

I estimated that the retail cost of the parts would be about £400 and take about 2 hours to replace and test and setup.

Not surprisingly Homeserve had disappeared and not expected to be seen again until the new year even if they decided they had any responsibility.

I never heard what the outcome was but I felt sorry for the poor tenants committed to a Christmas of no heating or hot water.

Not surprisingly the agent, and probably the landlord, were one of a class of people who are renown for not spending money on boilers!

Tony

Homeserve have refused to go to 2 boilers that I know of, even though they are taking the money every month, hats off to them, money for nothing.

Just happened to mention homeserve to a friend of mine yesterday, not knowing they had homeserve heating insurance. Interesting reaction.
His language changed from nice middle class to something entirely different; even the two sailors walking past, blushed.

How is it possible that companies like this can keep ripping people of like that in this age of radio, tv, internet, blogs, forums and what not all else?

A friend of mine used Homeserve they could not fix his old combi so he got us to fit a new one (Glow-Worm flexicom) this broke down after 3 months (Pump failure) we were very busy in 6" of snow in february so suggested he contact the Manufacturer under the terms of the Warranty, Guess who turned up to fix it B****y Homeserve Womble!! :rolleyes:

Homeserve have 3 millon policy holders in the UK, they are trying to get to 5 millon by this time next year. I know this for a fact because I was in the meeting.

If you phone them up for a plumbing repair they will do their best to sign you up with a policy there and then. Normally for about £80.00, if you refuse they will drop it to £20.. just to sigh you up.

What chance do we have when they are so cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back