Help Please: ARISTON MICRO COMBI BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, having had a ARISTON MICRO COMBI Boiler (microCombi 23/27 MFFI) installed a while ago now, I am experiencing problems. The RED warning light ignites whenever the hot taps are operated frequently meaning having to constantly reset the button until the gas ignites and hot water flows. It is apparent from use of the taps both in the bathroom and kitchen. Also at the time being due to having a new central heating system (not installed as yet) there is no radiator water connected - the boiler operates at the moment for just running hot water. The reason I ask for help is I am NOT a plummer or know anything about boilers - BUT BEFORE I call in a plummer I really want to know why this fault is happening and what should be done to correct the fault, in order to understand that I will not be ripped off by a plumber, if I can understand the fault, I will then listen carefully to the plummer to ensure he also is telling me the correct information and not trying to charge me for work I don't need - please can anyone help, thank you.

Sponsored Links
The boiler incorporates a water pressure switch. If you have no heating system connected the boiler will not work. Has the pressure switch been shorted out?

You will need to have at least one small radiator connected and the system pressurised. This will allow air to be fully bled from the boiler and prevent overheating.

I have also had locking out problems on these models with the air pressure switches and ignition burner presures drifting - all corgi only teritory.

gas4you said:
What is the pressure in the boiler? Could need topping up.

Hello Dave

Thank you for your responce, I am grateful, as I really am 'out of my depth on all this' my boiler pressure reads just over 1 Bar, am also garteful to and for any advice as I just don't want to get ripped off, as obviously I shall be calling for a plumber once I understand the problem.
Thank you

Jon

Sponsored Links
Gasguru said:
The boiler incorporates a water pressure switch. If you have no heating system connected the boiler will not work. Has the pressure switch been shorted out?

You will need to have at least one small radiator connected and the system pressurised. This will allow air to be fully bled from the boiler and prevent overheating.

I have also had locking out problems on these models with the air pressure switches and ignition burner presures drifting - all corgi only teritory.

Hello Gasguru

Thank you very much for your reply, I am extremely grateful to you. What you have said, does in my very limitted experience of any of this does make sence, yes all radiators were disconnected, just to understand the cuase and possibilities is a great comfort - I am fearful of being ripped off - in other words a plumber/heating engineer turns up and starts 'blinding' me with alot of boiler tech stuff - me not understanding any of it and in the process getting ripped off for alot of work I don't need - you understand - hence my question, if I can at least understand what is going on, when I do call an engineer I will have some idea of the problem and cause, well enough to know whether or not I am possibly going to get ripped off, your reply does make sence and what you say could be where the problem lies. I am very grateful to you, thank you.

Jon

read back through the forum a bit you'll see a mrs jones that knows better than a registered corgi neighbour, i think the trouble is we as a trade are not charging enough.

I had a lady last week who told me it was something small like a sensor. I asked her how she knew that and she said that she was not a gas engineer and did not know.

I suggested that she should let the chosen expert diagnose the fault! As a tenant she was not even paying the bill.

When I went there she was fine though and pleased because it cost less than I had guessed it might.

90% of gas boiler engineers do not rip anyone off intentionally, the remainder might charge a little too much but hardly 1% actually rip anyone off like charging for a part not fitted.

Its nearly a year since I found anyone had been ripped off, they had fitted a used pump and charged for a new one. But three people had been called to come free to quote for the repair. They were being ripped off by the agent.

Tony

Dan_Robinson said:
Why do people automatically assume they are going to get ripped off? It's really starting to plss me off!

Thank you Dan for your comments, people don't automatically 'think' they are going to be ripped off, however, taking precausions and trying to make sence, espacially within ares outside normal expertise, can be a benefit, it is most unfortunate that some years ago I was overcharged for some plumbing work, it took the engineer 5 months to refund the difference which was kindly pointed out to me by a second engineer, of whom I had the occassion to call within two weeks after the first one.
Whilst it may 'annoy' you, spare a thought for me at how I felt once the situation had been revealed to me. Again, thankyou for sharing your comments, but it hardly helps me with my problem.

Could you briefly explain the details of how you were overchanged?

Tony

Agile said:
I had a lady last week who told me it was something small like a sensor. I asked her how she knew that and she said that she was not a gas engineer and did not know.

I suggested that she should let the chosen expert diagnose the fault! As a tenant she was not even paying the bill.

When I went there she was fine though and pleased because it cost less than I had guessed it might.

90% of gas boiler engineers do not rip anyone off intentionally, the remainder might charge a little too much but hardly 1% actually rip anyone off like charging for a part not fitted.

Its nearly a year since I found anyone had been ripped off, they had fitted a used pump and charged for a new one. But three people had been called to come free to quote for the repair. They were being ripped off by the agent.

Tony

Thank you Tony for your reply, this is one of reasons I ask for professional guidance, I just want advise so I can try ensure that a repition of what happen to myself some yaers ago does not repeat, I whole heartedly agree with your statement that the majority of engineers would not stoop to such methods, after all their reputation and obtaining further work would be at stake, but all said and done, by getting some useful guidance does put someone like myself in a more understanding position going some way clear to know who is talking about what, simple as that. Thank you again for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back