moving a boiler (not gas safe registered)

One problem is that moving a boiler counts as a new installation, and you would have to comply with current Part L regulations.

not necessarily moving a boiler you have, into the same occupying room isnt a new installation.only if moved to a different location in a different part of the house.probably get corrected on that though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i never thought about removing /disconecting the old supply. However it does have a yellow isloation valve. Am i allowed to turn this and disconect or would this need to be done by the plumber ? I can understand my not be allowed to run the flue also , but can i cut the holes ready for it?
I can't help but feel that it may be worth your while getting a couple of quotes for the hanging and reconnection of the boiler. At the same time, you will be able to get a feel of which bloke will allow you to do what work. If he knows he is going to get the job, it may happen that he will say that you are labouring under his supervision.

Nobody likes spending money, but it may be worth getting him to decommission and unhang the boiler from its current site (that way, if it get's damaged he'll be aware of the problem)

O.k cheers mate, im not a penny pincher and dont mind spending a few hundered quid getting it sorted. I was just trying to speed things up by sorting out the water pipe work.

I have some major issues with my builders so far (had to sack the first lot) and the mrs wants things done. I was thinking that (as we dont need the boiler at the moment) that i could get all the water pipes run ready and the next day the plumber (am i spelling that o.k now? ) could simply tidy up and connect gas/test etc.

Plus i would like to flush the system.

So then, it seems that it will just be best to pay the pluber to do the whole job. What would be a fair price to ask for this? All pipes will be above the boiler, they need to extended from above and connected to boiler 5 feet below? thanks again

One problem is that moving a boiler counts as a new installation, and you would have to comply with current Part L regulations.

not necessarily moving a boiler you have, into the same occupying room isnt a new installation.only if moved to a different location in a different part of the house.probably get corrected on that though.

It will be a new location but on the reverse of the wall its already mounted on.

another question (sorry) , is there a reg that i need to tell building control about? Building inspector is visiting tomorrow so will ask him if best?

Sponsored Links
matty - there's nothing to stop you getting the water pipes within striking distance of the final resting place. It depends on the timing of the whole process, since once you cut through that pipe, you will potentially be without hot water until the job is finished.

another question (sorry) , is there a reg that i need to tell building control about? Building inspector is visiting tomorrow so will ask him if best?
Ask him, but I would imagine that what they will require will be appropriate certification from the gas fitter. You are only changing the position of the boiler and possibly adding a radiator or two, not designing a whole new heating system

may i ask what TRV's are? are they rad valves ?

Also what would be needed to upgrade programmer and thermostate? the boiler has built in timer but we dont use that as the wall temp thingy does 7 days a week timmer and heat at 6 intervalls a day.

TRVs are thermostatic radiator valves.

You 'wall temp thingy' may be a programmable thermostat - if there is a radiator in that room (it may be the hall) that does NOT have a TRV, then that suggests the 'thingy' is a programmable thermostat which is fine.

If the system is only 3 years old then it is probably compliant, or near enough. I don't think Part L has changed much recently.

matty - there's nothing to stop you getting the water pipes within striking distance of the final resting place. It depends on the timing of the whole process, since once you cut through that pipe, you will potentially be without hot water until the job is finished.

Yes mate i understand that. To be honest im without already. The builders have damaged the sewers so im popping of to mother in laws to have shower morning and night at the mo. im o.k for a toilet at the moment tho !

can someone give me a idea of price on this?

can someone give me a idea of price on this?

hmmm without looking 10000.looking at it, i might bring it down a bit.basically no one can give you an answer on that.without least looking at the job.and what terms youll both agree on.

may i ask what TRV's are? are they rad valves ?

Also what would be needed to upgrade programmer and thermostate? the boiler has built in timer but we dont use that as the wall temp thingy does 7 days a week timmer and heat at 6 intervalls a day.

TRVs are thermostatic radiator valves.

You 'wall temp thingy' may be a programmable thermostat - if there is a radiator in that room (it may be the hall) that does NOT have a TRV, then that suggests the 'thingy' is a programmable thermostat which is fine.

If the system is only 3 years old then it is probably compliant, or near enough. I don't think Part L has changed much recently.

Well lets hope my 'thingy' is o.k for the job LOL.

The thingy is on the landing with a rad without a TRV . To be honest there are only 2 bedroom rads witha a TRV. The 'thingy' can be programmed for what temp i want per day and and what hopur of the day so i guess thats o.k?

There will be 1 rad added only and that will be to a garage area so with a TRV that i can turn up the temp when im in there. The TRV will spend most of its life turned off!

Anyway chaps, seems im in over my head so i will get a plumber in i and take his advice on the subject.

Thanks all for your time.

I've looked through the Part L1B and cant find anything that says moving a boiler is the same as replacing one. I called my local Building Control office and they said they weren't aware of any such condition and wouldn't insist on upgrading the boiler.

Anyone seen this witten down and could point me to it? It's something I've heard many times but looks like it might be an "interpretation" of the regs that favours selling a new boiler.

Don't you think its unfair that dyslexia is such a hard word to spell? ;)

Its all part of the diagnosis!

However, using spell checkers many can hide their problems.

If anyone complains about my bed spelling then I just tell them I am dislexic.

Tony

Yes, you have to comply with Part L if you are fitting a new boiler. But whether moving an existing boiler counts as fitting a new one is debatable. Ask your Building Control Officer - and get his reply in writing.

This may mean having to fit TRVs, new thermostat and programmer, maybe a new hot water cylinder if the existing one is really old (no foam insulation).
You do not have to fit TRVs or new thermostat and programmer and HWC if all you are doing is changing the boiler.

See Domestic Buildings Compliance Guide 2010 Page 24, Supplementary Information (section starting with an *).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back