moving a boiler (not gas safe registered)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question for you, basically i now the basics on plumming and now how to soldier etc . (worked with a plummer in the past)

I need to move the boiler to the other side of a wall. I have no issues extending the pipes etc but im not allowed to touch the gas.

Am i allowed to do all the water pipework and then pay a plummer to do the gas and pass the boiler off?

Also am i allowed to run the flue as it wont be working untill the plummer sorts the gas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One problem is that moving a boiler counts as a new installation, and you would have to comply with current Part L regulations.

This may mean having to fit TRVs, new thermostat and programmer, maybe a new hot water cylinder if the existing one is really old (no foam insulation).

Worst case is that the boiler itself is not Part L compliant ie a non-condensing model, non-condensing boilers can now only be installed in very limited circumstances.

o.k thanks,

Maybe more info for you,

boiler is maybe 3 years old, its a condensing combi boiler. The reason its being moved is due to extension. Its being moved onto the wall behing itsels so its spinning around 180 degress.

may i ask what TRV's are? are they rad valves ?

Also what would be needed to upgrade programmer and thermostate? the boiler has built in timer but we dont use that as the wall temp thingy does 7 days a week timmer and heat at 6 intervalls a day.

Sponsored Links
quick question for you, basically i now the basics on plumming and now how to soldier etc . (worked with a plummer in the past)

i know a lot of plumbers and done alot of plumbing but i've never
done any plumming or know any plummers.

maybe they should tell you how to spell it first. :rolleyes:

Think you'll struggle to find a plumber who'll let you deal with the flue, or even hang the boiler. Come to think of it, how are you going to disconnect and isolate the gas from the boiler in the first place :confused: Since this will involve a gassafe chappie, I'm sure he'll advise what he will and will not be happy signing off.

With specific answer to the wet works, there should be little problem with it (although the gassafe bloke may well insist on flushing it through)

i know a lot of plumbers and done alot of plumbing but i've never
done any plumming or know any plummers.

maybe they should tell you how to spell it first. :rolleyes:

sorry for spelling, im dyslexic and suffer form not being able to spell etc. Its a disabilaty that i cant do nothing about, i try my best. sorry

Think you'll struggle to find a plumber who'll let you deal with the flue, or even hang the boiler. Come to think of it, how are you going to disconnect and isolate the gas from the boiler in the first place :confused: Since this will involve a gassafe chappie, I'm sure he'll advise what he will and will not be happy signing off.

With specific answer to the wet works, there should be little problem with it (although the gassafe bloke may well insist on flushing it through)

Thanks, i never thought about removing /disconecting the old supply. However it does have a yellow isloation valve. Am i allowed to turn this and disconect or would this need to be done by the plumber ? I can understand my not be allowed to run the flue also , but can i cut the holes ready for it?

Thanks, i never thought about removing /disconecting the old supply. However it does have a yellow isloation valve. Am i allowed to turn this and disconect or would this need to be done by the plumber ? I can understand my not be allowed to run the flue also , but can i cut the holes ready for it?
I can't help but feel that it may be worth your while getting a couple of quotes for the hanging and reconnection of the boiler. At the same time, you will be able to get a feel of which bloke will allow you to do what work. If he knows he is going to get the job, it may happen that he will say that you are labouring under his supervision.

Nobody likes spending money, but it may be worth getting him to decommission and unhang the boiler from its current site (that way, if it get's damaged he'll be aware of the problem)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back