help do i need a plumer now?

If you can't find a hot water cylinder, it is most unlikely to be hidden behind the gas fire... more likely you haven't got one and the hot water is supplied, when required, by the boiler.

I will keep quiet now because I'm not familiar with the problems of that type, and you may have a different kind of fault.

Sponsored Links
If you have a h/w cylinder!!! and as the problem arose after you had your bath it could be that you drained your h/w supply thus allowing air into the pipe. Have you tried John.B suggestion with the washing machine pipes.

Hello

Ok I have not tried the thing with the pipes as I have only a cold water inlet to the washing mashine. Think I may get a plummer to do it? I think I can rule out frozen pipes as it's now milder and why would the downstairs tap work ok (not great though)?

Surley you should be able to have a bath without this hapening everytime must mean I have a fault if this will hapen?

Hi very-chilly-wash, guess your new name must be very-chilly-smelly by now.(Sorry could n't resist.) Yes it does seem milder this morning so thankfully you can forget about the frozen pipes scenario. Air lock is still probable cause, if you do not have a hot supply to washer do you have a mixer tap on the kitchen sink and do you think you or your friends are reasonably handy with tools, more to the point do you have any tools? if yes then post reply , if no then get on the phone tomorrow and get it sorted by a plumber as I am downwind of Durham and think the smell be may be here already !

Sponsored Links
Hi
In exceptional circumstances the cold water tank in the loft could be drained thus allowing air into the system; (eg the tank is not being re-filled due to 1) a stuck float, 2) a frozen cold feed pipe to the tank which later thaws and the tank refills, suggesting it has never been empty).
Your problem still sounds like an air lock/blockage.

Edited - If system has a hot water cylinder, Heath Robinson approach would not work and has been deleted. Apologies V-C-W :oops:

John.B said:
If expansion pipe is frozen then water can still trickle out. If the cold supply pipe becomes frozen then cylinder will collapse due to implosion.
How do you reckon this one John? If it's a vented system then air is available to the cylinder. If it's a pressurised system then nothing would flow without cold feed flowing.
John.B said:
Best to ring your friends and get a plumbers tel no
Hmm....

If Chilly can't find a hot water cylinder in her house, is it not likely to be a Combi system? in this case the loft is irrelevant, a frozen feed is unlikely, and so, surely is an airlock?

Chilly, can you see a maker's name and model on your boiler?

if so please post.

Yes, it's an impossible scenario:

No cylinder == must be a combi == can't have an airlock

...therefore must be frozen. But it isn't. Smoke coming from my ears now...

Nothing to add until we find out for sure what the system is.

1. If is a combi system then the hot water is on mains pressure anyway so you would never get an airlock. Can't be combi because she says one rad comes on when the water is getting heated. Could be an Elson combination tank/cylinder as they are often put in the loft spaces of terraced houses or bungalows.

2 I did n't want to reveal all if she had no mechanical skills as she could flood her place out if she's not confident hence the cautious approach.

3 It's so easy to fix if you have a mixer tap. Take out the mixer spout and put a rubber bung used in the radiator valve changing kit or use a cloth and block off the open spout. Then open the hot tap and hold on tight to the bung or cloth. Then open the cold tap and pressurise the hot water system using the mains cold water to blow out the airlock. turn off water and replace spout.

4 I've already mentioned the foam from the cylinder that can block pipes so how many more things can their be? Dead mouse or rat, yes that can happen. Other than that the chances of three taps become faulty at the same time are very slim would n 't you agree.

John.B said:
1. If is a combi system then the hot water is on mains pressure anyway so you would never get an airlock.
This is old news.

John.B said:
2 Why the hell do you need to do the heath robinson method with the hose and garden tap when I've already started to suggest how she can unblock it?
Because yours isn't the only opinion on the forum, that's why.

And why the hell do you have get so uppity and use phrases like "why the hell"?

John.B said:
I didn't want to reveal all if she had no mechanical skills as she could flood her place out if she's not confident hence the cautious approach.
Sadly, you not wanting something is not the same as you being in control of that thing.

John.B said:
3 It's so easy to fix if you have a mixer tap. Take out the mixer spout and put a rubber bung used in the radiator valve changing kit or use a cloth and block off the open spout. Then open the hot tap and hold on tight to the bung or cloth. Then open the cold tap and pressurise the hot water system using the mains cold water to blow out the airlock. turn off water and replace spout. Job done by professional 5 minutes total time.
Thanks lads but how many of you are qualified plumbers?
Less of the sarcasm sonny boy. You'll find out how many of us are 'qualified' when you've been on the forum for more than a few minutes.

How would we all feel if she attempted to try the job herself and got in mess and flooded the place out. That's why I suggested she call a plumber if she and her friends were not confident. Yes you are right I probably was over the top but after 30 years experience some of the suggestions I was reading were just starting to get out of hand.

Fair point, and a magnanimous reply. Apologies if I was [too] crotchety.

Softus, Thanks I have edited my comments on my previous post accordingly. Like you say I am a newby and I am used to another forum where banter is robust and you give and take comments without offence. Sorry If I offended anyone I will try to adjust.

Well if that's your attitude then you'll be a very welcome addition :)

Too many of members on this forum, which, sadly, includes me, have given in to the temptation of 'strong' banter, but I hope you'll work out who the nutters are and do a better than me in ignoring them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back