GPDO Confusion/Contradiction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering building a small rear extension which will hopefully full within PD. The house in a 1980's semi on article 2(3) land (Conservation area and AONB). It will comply in terms of height, rear projection and width but I'm stuck on parts A.2 and A.3 of the GPDO.

Part A.2 states that development is not allowed on article 2(3) land if it consists of cladding any part of the exterior with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render.............. etc.

Part A.3 Development is permitted by class A subject to the materials used in exterior works being similar in appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwelling house.......

And the existing is render to the side and rear elevations! So I can extend so long as I render the addition but I'm not allowed to render the addition! Confused much.

My only thought was that part A.2 applies to the existing house and any existing enlargements but not to the proposed addition?

Can anyone explain this? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you've got the right end of the stick re materials. If you're in a conservation area just beware of any Article 4 Directions, and be aware that you cannot build anything off any original side wall (A.2. (b)).

I think you've got the right end of the stick re materials. If you're in a conservation area just beware of any Article 4 Directions, and be aware that you cannot build anything off any original side wall (A.2. (b)).

Thanks. I'm aware of Article 4 and there are restrictions and I'm not planning on building out from the side elevation. Straight back only. It would be nice to be on the right track with materials as it means I can use DP rather than a full application although I will apply for a lawful development certificate first.

Why even bother with applying for a LDC?
Just build the extension and render as the house.

Sponsored Links
The idea is that buildings on land of special interest would be of a particular style and appearance, and so the council would want to control how new development looks to ensure it matches or harmonises with the existing building and area generally. Hence A2.

But as A3 states that new extensions much match the existing then that covers cladding, and so deals with A2 by nullifying the requirement, and taking precedence.

Why even bother with applying for a LDC?
Just build the extension and render as the house.

Why apply for LDC......?

1. Peace of mind.
  2. Because its easier to tell the council "I am doing "X" under PD and have them say "OK" than it is to have them grant permission.
  3. Because you only have to look back through this forum to find countless examples of the council saying permission is needed after then event when in fact it isn't.

The idea is that buildings on land of special interest would be of a particular style and appearance, and so the council would want to control how new development looks to ensure it matches or harmonises with the existing building and area generally. Hence A2.

But as A3 states that new extensions much match the existing then that covers cladding, and so deals with A2 by nullifying the requirement, and taking precedence.

If A3 officially takes precedence over A2 then you'd like to think it would say so in the GPDO technical guidance but alas it doesn't.

If A3 officially takes precedence over A2 then you'd like to think it would say so in the GPDO technical guidance but alas it doesn't
There is lots of things it don't say. Otherwise it would be a epic series of novels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back