Grades of lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a mixture of them, is 1400 heavy to use, IE a bit stiff, i find 800 a bit flimsy for awkward areas

I used 1000 but seems a bit thin and shows up the slightest mark

Are some makes better then others, I used b n q

It is best to use dec chaulk before you paper to cover slight gaps, and again after to cover around doors etc to smooth out papering in places

Sponsored Links
i use 1200 mostly, from the dulux dec centre , i expect the b&q 1000 grade is thinner than the dulux 1000

Used BnQ 1000 in a kitchen of a house that had walls that really would have needed to be skimmed but the old dear was broke. I lined horizontally then vertically. Then I put up her paper which mercifully was thick polystyrened paper. The job looked well. I hope she doesn't start playing pokies with it though.... :confused:

to be honest b&q paper is pretty good (only go to 1000 g) for covering crappy walls to be papered, but if you want to emulsion them and want a good finish a min of 1200 grade is needed. the thicker the paper the more it covers. its not anymore harder to hang but if you do plan to emulsion over heavy linning paper make sure you butt your joints as good as you can because the emulsion wont fill the joints as good. also i would fill any real big gaps before paper, but i would always tube every edge that paper on it after to get a smooth edge, but if you do when the caulk is dry over paint all the edges with oil based undercoat paint and let dry before painting over them. this will stop them cracking open and re-acting with with the emulsion when its drying out.

Sponsored Links
I generally use 1200 grade paper, which is a good allrounder I find. It covers most blemishes, but obviously fill any bigger gaps or holes first.

For a professional finish use 1700 grade lining paper, if you just use DIY stores BQ sell quite a good quality one, a word of warning use good quality paste and allow to soak for at least 10 mins before cross lining the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back