Lining paper grade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just used lining paper in one of my rooms which was a 1000 grade paper and painted it, I am happy with the results but the walls were quite good in the first place. I am going to do another room where the walls are not quite as good. What grade is generally best for painting over? Will a thicker one such as a 1200 (I am assumng that 1200 is thicker?)hide inperfections better? and if so what are the disadvantages of a thicker paper?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Lining paper is not made for making bad/rough walls look good. That is what plastering is for. Lining paper is made for creating a perfect base for some wallcoverings & a good surface to which to accept new emulsion.

disadvantage with a thicker paper is that thicker will accentuate imperfections, like bad plaster patching, you still need to fill cracks etc as the paper will ripple when the crack moves. Myself I like to double line a bad wall with 800 g the first paper will show up any problems and these can then be sanded, filled or whatever before 2nd linning goes on. But thats for posh jobs .... :LOL: :LOL:

good luck.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back