Lining paper- two queries

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Two quick questions. Bought B&Q 1000 grade lining paper, quad roll. Then ran out and bought Wickes 1000 grade lining paper quad roll. B&Q much thicker !!! Surely they should both be the same 1000 grade thickness. Or am I imagining it ?
Second question. I was lining a wall at home prior to papering.....so I lined horizontally as the forum advises.....so joins don't meet on top of each other....think I know it all you see. Then my wife asks ''how can the joins meet if lining paper is wider than ordinary paper anyway?'' So I say '' Because'' ''Because what ?'' she replies. ''Just because.'' So why don't I hang the lining paper vertically if it's a different width anyway ?
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Lining paper should really go sideways and the finished wallpaper top to bottom. This helps to strenthen the wall. If unavoidable it can be put on top to bottom as the standard roll of wallpaper is about 20 1/2 inces wide and the lining paper is about 22 inches wide. If the lining is going to be painted it should be put sideways as this helps to take you eye away from any joints as you are used to looking top to bottom.

The 'grade' of the paper has no relation to the thickness..it relates to the weight ..allthough its generally accepted that the two will be the same..they are not always.

To help you out on the other question..even though lining is wider, at some point when your papering a room you may catch up on yourself and overlap the top and bottom joints.#

As robbie says crosslining is the best and probably easiest option for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back