Granite floor tile removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm midway through having my kitchen tiled with 600x300 10mm polished granite tiles, laid over a free-wire electric UFH system (DCM Pro) which was laid over 6mm insulation boards and then self leveled; the subfloor is concrete with a 20mm screed on top.

We've now got a problem, where around 10 tiles will need to come up as there's a substantial dip in the level (pics attached); the rest of the floor currently laid looks great and is level.

The tiler has been this morning, had a look, tried to get a tile up, but says it'll ruin the UFH (literally rip it up with the tile) so the whole lot will need to come up; I have two options, either leave it (and have it annoy me every single day), or he'll claim on his insurance and rip it all up and start again. I've told him that I can't leave it, so it'll need to be an insurance job.

Question to all the tilers out there... is there any tool or technique that can get these up? I have spare tiles, so I'm not completely against breaking a few, but the inconvenience of ripping it all up and starting again will be awful! I'm from the Bristol area (Clevedon) if anyone is relatively local and has the tool for the job!

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Floor Tile 1.jpeg
    Floor Tile 1.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Floor Tile.jpeg
    Floor Tile.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
Scratch that, we just tried with a 70mm chisel on an SDS, and the cables are being ripped out with the tiles. Looks like it's an insurance job, and several more weeks until we get anything sorted. :(

your tape shows 7mm :)

Why is there a dip?

Has the tiler laid the tiles with that much difference in the bed of the tile adhesive...unlikely or is the self level not.....erm level?

20mm of screed is very thin? -is that cementitious screed or a epoxy screed

Sponsored Links
Hi Notch,

It was a cement screed (with fibers in it, presumably for reinforcement) laid when our extension was built, to raise the floor to meet the existing; the screed had a high point, which is the root cause of the issue (the tiler knew about this). When the tiler leveled the floor (after insulation and UFH), it clearly wasn't actually level, as I can't see that the adhesive would be that far out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back