Granite tiles onto timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to put some granite tiles on the back wall behind my cooker (which is no problem) but I also want to tile the two inside panels of the cupboard which is bare timber.
What is the best adhesive or method to fix the granite tiles to the timber sides. It's only about a meter high of tiles if this helps and it goes right down to the work surface so there is something there to take some of the weight.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Avoid the sheds, and use either the Nicobond one or the Bal/Dunlop one.

Leave a 2mm gap between the worktop and the bottom row of tiles so that you can seal the gap. Use best quality silicone sealant when you do it.

Will this be ok.. it came up when I checked for that stuff.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240705
cheers :D
No, you couldn't be further away. :eek:
Something like this will be ok for a kitchen http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/bal_products/blue_star.asp You can get it from Topps tiles and there's enough for about 4 square metres.
Are you sure your cupboard is solid timber and not chipboard? Is it possible to screw plasterboard to the cupboard sides before tiling? This will give an ideal surface for tiling on.

Sponsored Links
Yep definitely solid timber.
What about if I use a pva solution to prime the timber and then use flexible floor tile adhesive as I have been told that should work?
cheers again

Don't bother with pva, it's not necessary. I don't like tiling onto timber because it expands too much for my liking. Ply is more stable, but plasterboard is very stable.

the problem would be that if I put plaster board in it is going to show at the edge and push the tiles too far forward.. :rolleyes:

I think I am going to go with using flexible floor tile adhesive.. probably the best bet. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back