Granite tiles fixing please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have fixed 20sqm of absolute black granite tiles onto my bathroom wall, the tiles are 60 x 30. The walls are in good condition, plastered and were heavily scored prior to tiling.

A few of the tiles have pulled off the wall prior to grouting. I used Norcross quick setting powder adhesive. I have been advised that these tiles should be stuck onto a battened wall using a fibre board. The tile company has said that I should have PVA'ed first and okay to fasten straight onto a plastered surface.

The bathroom is n :( ow finished but I am at a loss what to do, should I pull all the tiles off or leave them, the others do feel secure.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Sponsored Links
Had the adhesive fully dried?

Did the adhesive pull off the plaster, or the plaster skim coat pull off the bonding coat?

Did you use PVA?

Did you remove all dust?

Did you heat the room, or let it dry naturally?

Hi

The adhesive had been left about 6/7 days

It did not pull off the plaster

PVA was not used as recommended by Norcross

All dust was removed and tiles dried naturally.

I have since taken all the loose tiles off the wall and drilled the wall in many places to aid adhesion.

Most of the other tiles feel solid, should they be okay when grouted or should I remove all tiles and start again.

Regards

Ian

The adhesive had been left about 6/7 days

It did not pull off the plaster
So, did the tile pull off the adhesive?

PVA was not used as recommended by Norcross
That's fair enough.

I have since taken all the loose tiles off the wall and drilled the wall in many places to aid adhesion.
You've drilled it? I don't understand what you think that will do. :confused:

Most of the other tiles feel solid, should they be okay when grouted or should I remove all tiles and start again.
I don't know yet - it depends on why the loose tile became loose.

Sponsored Links
Dont use PVA as a primer, as it is water based and can break down when you put adhesive on.Use SBR acrylic primer,.....

Hi

Thanks for your advice so far, the adhesive was still stuck to the tile. Due to the unevenes of the walls I put 5 dabs of adhesive (norcross) onto the tile.

When cleaning up the tiles the adhesive comes of really easy.

Thanks
Ian

The walls are in good condition, plastered and were heavily scored prior to tiling.
Due to the unevenes of the walls I put 5 dabs of adhesive (norcross) onto the tile.
I can't reconcile these two statements. If the walls were uneven then they weren't in good condition from the POV of tiling.

I used Norcross quick setting powder adhesive.
When cleaning up the tiles the adhesive comes of really easy.
I have a hunch that you weren't working fast enough for a quick setting adhesive. Had the mix started going off at the time you placed the tile that has not stuck?

Another possibility is that the walls were too porous. PVA would be the wrong thing go use, but a proprietary tiling primer wouldn't.

Also, why are you using dabs of adhesive instead of full coverage of the tile, and combed? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back