Preparation for Granite floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm about to lay granite tiles on top of 22mm wooden floors and have a few queries about how to prep. Basically, I want to get things right to avoid problems long term.

1. Should I seal the tiles prior to laying - I was thinking especially the edges to prevent grout dye soaking in from the edge of the tiles

2. What is the minimum thickness of exterior grade plywood I should use. The actual subfloors are flat and true

3. Do I need to seal the plywood with PVA prior to laying the tiles. I'm using flexible adhesive, given the wooden floors.

While I'm on, I also have a shower cubicle to tile. Presumably I should be tanking the walls prior to tiling. Can anyone recommend a simple to use and effective tanking product?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1. Should I seal the tiles prior to laying - I was thinking especially the edges to prevent grout dye soaking in from the edge of the tiles
Yes you should seal the tiles prior to laying. Whilst sealing the face, it'll be not much extra work to seal the edges so do it for peace of mind.

2. What is the minimum thickness of exterior grade plywood I should use. The actual subfloors are flat and true
Have a read of the sticky.

3. Do I need to seal the plywood with PVA prior to laying the tiles. I'm using flexible adhesive, given the wooden floors.
Have a read of the adhesive directions.

While I'm on, I also have a shower cubicle to tile. Presumably I should be tanking the walls prior to tiling. Can anyone recommend a simple to use and effective tanking product?
Have a read of the tiling ticky.

All granite tiles should be sealed prior to use. This is true even for the darker colours including galaxy and absolute types (think white paint). All natural stone is porous and any substance spilt/splashed on them can be absorbed. There are many types of brands out there to do the job. see ***Removed*** for more info.

Thanks guys

since the link provided has been removed, perhaps you could direct me to whether I should use a surface sealer or one that impregnates the stone. Presumably it is best to pre seal them with the same product I intend to use longer term for sealing

Sponsored Links
just about to lay my own granite tiles. regarding sealing them how do you seal the front, its like a glossy finish anyway so i pursumed it is not porous on the front? thanks steve

Odd isn't it? You can link to B&Qs website but not a small business.

when sealing the natural stone you always need to cover the surface, dont worry about the back sides as the dirt will penetrate it but you will never see it.

best way to go is open packet, seal.

fix to wall / floor, seal.

grout, seal

never be too carful with it, ive gone to houses to try to rectify lots of natural stone not sealed properly and not always its doable.

lithofin do some very good sealers for nat stone.

i wont link you here as it may get removed. just look for lithofin online or at your local tile store.

sorry to jump on this post but reguarding sealing granite tiles, i understand you seal the sides and front surface, should i also seal the back before laying? its sort of a grey(white/black) granite tile. steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back