Grant Oil Vortex Pro or Eco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace a 25 year old Potterton oil boiler during the summer to avoid any distress purchase due to a winter failure. I’ve decided on a Grant oil boiler as I’m off grid and have had a few local installers to survey the property. However the quotes I’ve received are inconsistent in their recommendations on boiler size and model, so I’m looking for any advise people can offer.

The current boiler is rated at 26kw. Given its age it isn’t efficient but has coped with our heating and hot water needs. The boiler is a regular model with hot water cylinder on a pumped system. I have 18 rads and 2 bathrooms with 4 people in the house. I’ve had quotes recommending a 15/26 grant vortex pro, a 26/35 pro and a 21/26 Vortex Eco. I’m putting the boiler in a utility room under a counter and connecting it to an existing hive controller. I think the 21/26 eco sounds like it would do all I need but is it worth the extra £150 for the pro to get the 1% efficiency improvement? Also any thoughts on the size? 18 rads feels like it needs a larger boiler but I’ve been told by two installers not to do this as it could lead to short cycling. So I’m a little confused.

Sponsored Links
Neither. Get a Hounsfield Tuscan 20-25 - a superior boiler with a lower price tag.

You'll get bigger energy efficiency improvements through a decent quality installation carried out by someone who understands how to get the best from your boiler and heating system, than you will looking at theoretical 1% differences between models

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back