Grant vortex combi 21gurgling noise DHW only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have looked at the other threads but can't seem to find the answer. I have a grant vortex combi 21internal approx 15 months old. To be honest it has never been right with this problem that I'm going to describe.

Central heating side - All good, all rads bleed, no bothers. Has inhibitor in system.

DHW - This is the problem. Every time the call for hot water and pump goes it gurgles and gurgles and gurgles. Very loud. With top and front cover off from top view I see x3 manual vents. They have been opened and only water comes out. From top view again I see auto vent with black screw. This is open. The pressure for the system was set for 1200psi however I heard a suggestion on here about raising the pressure to 1500psi to see if noise would stop. I tried this and it did stop however the pressure will not hold and ends up going down to about 1200psi again. So I say to myself I wonder if there is a leak somewhere. I have checked all radiators and no leaks. This is all illogical because when I fill up again to 1500psi again over days it drops down again. I have repeated this over 5 times of filling up. I filled slowly. No leaks on PRV outside dry. Just above boiler there is a Grant Mag One with no leaks. It is infuriating as boiler is great but so noisy for hot water demand. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Close the auto air vents and see if that helps. If it does, then an occasional opening to relieve air may be needed.

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I have tried that already a while ago.

Check dhw pump is set to maximum
When Grant were fitting grundfos pumps (now back to Wilos) we found a few that weren't.
In truth the installer should have sorted this problem.
If its a vortex pro and was installed /commissioned by a Grant G1 registered engineer you at least a 5 year warranty 10 years if after April 22.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check dhw pump is set to maximum
When Grant were fitting grundfos pumps (now back to Wilos) we found a few that weren't.
In truth the installer should have sorted this problem.
If its a vortex pro and was installed /commissioned by a Grant G1 registered engineer you at least a 5 year warranty 10 years if after April 22.
Hi. The pump lights are green, orange, orange. Is that correct. Thankyou.

I have noticed something else. On the pressure gauge when hot water is on and the gurgling starts etc. the gauge fluctuates quite a lot. Thanks

Close the auto air vents and see if that helps. If it does, then an occasional opening to relieve air may be needed.
Thanks for your reply. To be honest I have tried that already a while ago. I have noticed that the gauge fluctuates a lot when gurgling noise is going on?

Hi. The pump lights are green, orange, orange. Is that correct. Thankyou.
Picture of said pump please
The gauge fluctuating indicates air trapped.
Take both top covers off and take a clear picture of pipework to boiler.
We have found on the Grant combi's dependent on pipework layout extra air valves are useful.

Picture of said pump please
The gauge fluctuating indicates air trapped.
Take both top covers off and take a clear picture of pipework to boiler.
We have found on the Grant combi's dependent on pipework layout extra air valves are useful.
Can't get better one of pump. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20231026_100814.jpg
    IMG_20231026_100814.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231109_144807.jpg
    IMG_20231109_144807.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20231109_144816.jpg
    IMG_20231109_144816.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 40
OK the pump settings you have are correct (constant curve 3)
The combi's can be awkward to clear air when new but not 15 months later!
Pipework looks to be no problem I would say going to need eyes/hands on.
Either get installer back or talk to Grant there technical helpline is excellent.
Maybe looking at air ingress on inlet side of pump.

Either get installer back or talk to Grant there technical helpline is excellent.
Ok thank you for your help.

With regards to the suspected air ingress. Do you mean on the pump itself? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back