Graphics cards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a new pc, using an MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC motherboard. I want to add a graphics card with 3 monitor support used mainly for videos not gaming. Looking at "MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8GB OC GDDR5 Graphics Card" Just wondering if anyone else had experience in graphics card and could suggest one. Ideally want to move away from the onboard graphics.

Sponsored Links
If you're not gaming I don't think you need such a high end card. Do you even need a card at all? Modern Intel CPU's decode most modern video codecs and support three displays.

Beware, even though they may have 3+ ports on them - often you cannot use all of them at once, one will often be disabled while another (of a different connector type) is in use.

The manufacturers site says a maximum of 5 but that could just be spin.
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-570-ARMOR-8G-OC/Specification

Double check before you spend money on it.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...70-8gb-armor-oc-video-card-rx-570-armor-8g-oc

I would not want to use the CPU for three displays (heck I wouldn't want it for just 1 these days) especially as many motherboards also limit the displays, not that it matters as your chosen mobo only has 2 display outputs.

Sponsored Links
I would not want to use the CPU for three displays (heck I wouldn't want it for just 1 these days) especially as many motherboards also limit the displays, not that it matters
as your chosen mobo only has 2 display outputs.
Modern onboard (or rather on-CPU) graphics are surprisingly powerful especially if it's only required for video as they will hardware decode many popular formats.

OP's motherboard has Display Port (DP) and HDMI. DP often supports outputting up to 4 monitors, however it looks like you would need compatible monitors that have DP outputs to allow daisy chaining.

Edit: it looks like monitors that support DP daisy chaining may be rare & expensive, meaning that more than two monitors from OP's onboard graphics may not be economically viable. I'd suggest any modern cheap graphics card that A: decodes all required video codecs and B: supports three displays will suffice.

Last edited:
I have built a new pc, using an MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC motherboard. I want to add a graphics card with 3 monitor support used mainly for videos not gaming. Looking at "MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8GB OC GDDR5 Graphics Card" Just wondering if anyone else had experience in graphics card and could suggest one. Ideally want to move away from the onboard graphics.
Do you have the monitors already?

Modern onboard (or rather on-CPU) graphics are surprisingly powerful especially if it's only required for video as they will hardware decode many popular formats.

I have powered a 4K monitor, using onboard graphics.

It also says "
  • 1 x HDMI™ port 1.4, supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hzz
  • 1 x DisplayPort port 1.2, supports a maximum resolution of 4096X2304@60Hz
*No Display support when using the Processor model with suffix “F”"

Rather then 3 monitors, I would have gone for a single 4K monitor (equivalent to 4 x 1080p monitors).

Do you need for video editing or watching videos?

Also consider your motherboard ports, as some will disable the onboard GPU when an external GPU is added but not all so that is a place to investigate.

It also looks like many MSI cards keep the onboard graphics enabled when an external card is added.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back