Grass Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to revive the grass in my garden which has been left unattended for some time. The problem I am finding is pockets of grass which are very thick and long compared to the rest of the grass. The picture below is an example along with other pictures of the lawn.

My approach for reviving the lawn is to kill the moss then rake out, kill the weeds and then seed and feed it ensuring it gets a regular cut. I'm hoping the above will revive the lawn and get it back to looking good. Will the pockets of thick grass still exist or will they thin out with the continous attention.

[/img]
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of my front lawn and I think your plan is a good one. With mine I spot treated the weeds like docks and dandelions and the persistant single rogue thistle and then sprinkled grass seed on the bare patches . With regular watering in the cooler evenings and mowing once the grass had grown it is now looking much better. Regular mowing and attention should revive it but maybe someone with more garden expertise can offer another suggestion.

the clumps in the close up picture are couch which you will not be able to remove without pulling it up. And it has pretty long roots. If mowed frequently it won't be a major problem but it can be very obviously a different colour. That said a years regular cutting and mulching if possible will be the first step and will give decent results.

Thanks for the replies. Would like to try reviving the grass but seriously thinking if i should just replace it with new turf. More of a challenge to make it good again!

One last thing in one or two places there are dips in the turf should I just fill these with soil and then seed to get the level right?

Sponsored Links
If you are turfing it just prepare the existing area and fill and level any undulations. No point in seeding if you are turfing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back