Gravel boards as a retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning on putting up a fence (with concrete posts) & the neighbours garden is 2ft lower than our path.

I was thinking of using 2x 1ft concrete gravel boards which would act as a retaining wall.

Would this be suitable? Would it be safer to put, say, 1m concrete spur posts in the middle of the gravel boards (every 3ft on the neighbours side) to help stop the boards from bowing? Or any other suggestions?
img001.jpg
I'd really appreciate any ideas.
I've added a pic to help explain the situation. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Personally I think it would work?I am not qualified..
you may not need the short post but if you do you could cut the gravel boards in two and use a short mid post- actually removing a small slice from the middle to allow for the third post.

I would email the manufacturer of the boards to ask about unsupported strength.
I doubt they need mid support.

I've always wondered why those silly builders use blockwork or concrete of timber sleepers and the like for retaining walls when some concrete gravel boards will do.

The boards are quite thin, so if you are using 6 foot long ones, I would suggest they need an extra support in the middle. 4 foot ones should be fine without.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back