Gravitational painting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have to paint loft door and surround. Apart from plenty of carpet protection, is there a knack for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's no different to painting a ceiling!
I wanted mine to blend in with the ceiling, so I used a plain white emulsion applied with a mini roller - IMHO, it gave a far better and subtler finish than if I had attempted to gloss the door.
Good luck! :)

If the loft door is the type that you need to push up, and then use a step ladder to get up there, then waterbased eggshell might be better because your hands may be dirty when putting it back.

If it is hinged and drops down when you turn a "key/lock" then emulsion will be fine given that you are not touching it with your hands.

Gravity is only a problem when working with very thin paints, such as oil based gloss. If, for example, it was tongue and groove and you applied too much in the grooves, there is an outside chance of it dripping down where the build up is too great. Otherwise, the orientation makes little difference.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks both. It’s a wooden concertina type. The door itself looks ok, but the surround has become marked. I thought if I was doing that, I’d have to do the door at the same time.

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back