Gravity fed shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I intend to install a gravity fed shower into my new constructed downstairs ensuite (did a a garage conversion). The house is over 3 floors with the hw tank on ground floor and the cold water storage in the loft (4 storeys apart). The issue I face is that the cold water system is direct and therefore the closest cold water supply from the tank is that which feeds the hot water tank. Can I tee a 15mm feed into this for the shower or will this substantially impact the HW performance. I intend of fitting a standard shower head to restrict the shower flow rate.

Appreciate you thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Not ideal and probably not in line with the manufacturer's instructions but because of the height of the cold water cistern you will probably find it will work.

Think I'd have been inclined to use a mains cold water supply and a venturi shower.

I was hoping to get away from using the mains as this will impact the performance of the other shower (electric).

Do you think the plan will work/feasible?

Sponsored Links
It's feasible given the head of water being used, but it's a shame that you'll be possibly halving the potential flow rate.

As for affecting the other shower, this will happen anyway (albeit to a lesser degree) since mains water will be trying to replenish the cold water tank.

I think probably yes. But don't blame me if it doesn't :)

So is the only potential down fall that when the gravity shower is working I may experience a drop in peformance in other HW outlets?

So is the only potential down fall....
No it's not the only one. Like I said it will probably work ok but the ifs and buts include the other shower, as pointed out above, you might find the HW output drops elswhere, you might find the new shower doesn't work when other hot taps are opened, you might find something else surprising happens. At the end of the day it will probably work, I think, but nothing beats doing it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back