Gravity fed shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just fitted a new bathroom suite and installed a low pressure bar mixer shower. I originally thought my boiler was a combi (fitted about 2 years ago) but it is infact a conventional boiler with a hotwater tank.

I am now a little concerned with regards the pressure the shower will have. I have fitted all the pipes behind the plaster but haven't made the final connections yet. I went to the plumbers today and they said it would be advisable to fit a "surrey flang" or was it essex ?

They showed me 2 versions, one with what looks like a syphon tube and the other that you cut a hole in the tank.

What i want to know is , Do i really need one of these ? Because it is a gravity fed shower, I intend raising the header tank in the loft at least another couple of feet. The guy at the plumbers shop said that every 12" i rase the tank will greatly improve the pressure. Also he said i should feed the cold from the header tank.

I was thinking of taking a cold feed from the gravity supply to the hot tank but i then realised if i did that then the full gravity pressure would be split between hot and cold>

Do i make a new hole in the cold water tank and supply cold separately ?

Thanks in advance to any help.

Sponsored Links
Use either of the flanges for the hot water supply and cut a new cold feed from the tank in the loft. You may find a speedfit tank connecter is the easiest to fit.

You will only get a 'poor' shower unless you can raise your tank by at least a metre, even then it will not help that much. Your real answer is to invest in a shower pump.

Mick Leek said:
I went to the plumbers today and they said it would be advisable to fit a "surrey flang" or was it essex ?
Hm. The answer to that depends on whether they said "Surrey" or "Essex".

They showed me 2 versions, one with what looks like a syphon tube and the other that you cut a hole in the tank.
The first is a Surrey (or Warix), and the second is an Essex.

What i want to know is , Do i really need one of these ?
What does the shower valve manufacturer recommend?

Because it is a gravity fed shower, I intend raising the header tank in the loft at least another couple of feet.
That will add about 0.06 bar - you'd have to be quite desperate to think this is worth doing.

The guy at the plumbers shop said that every 12" i rase the tank will greatly improve the pressure.
This is true only if you had virtually head to start with.

Also he said i should feed the cold from the header tank.
He is right on the money with that advice.

I was thinking of taking a cold feed from the gravity supply to the hot tank but i then realised if i did that then the full gravity pressure would be split between hot and cold>
I think you mean flow, not pressure, and yes - you would be better off taking an independent feed.

Do i make a new hole in the cold water tank and supply cold separately ?
Yes.

gas4you said:
You will only get a 'poor' shower unless you can raise your tank by at least a metre, even then it will not help that much. Your real answer is to invest in a shower pump.

Cheers Gas, What do you mean by the above ?

Are you trying to say that what i am attempting is a waste of time ? The guy at the plumbers said that a pump was a waste of time because the hot water tank is only very small (stands around 24" tall) and the flow rate of the pump would mean that i could shower for a few mins before the tank would be emptied.

He said i could get a pump for the hot side only ? as in pumped hot but not cold. If i went that route, ould i still feed cold from loft tank ?

I'm not sure i understand why i need this flange thing ? does that improve the flow or something.

I have looked at the instructions supplied and all it says is suitable for gravity fed, pumped, and combi instulation. i cant see any tech info on delivery pressure, type and so on.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I had a thought, Isnt there some type of shower that has a small pump built into the unit that runs off 12V or something ?

I feel this may be the bast way to go considering all this technical stuff. Do these have a cold inlet as well as hot ?

Mick Leek said:
The guy at the plumbers said that a pump was a waste of time because the hot water tank is only very small (stands around 24" tall) and the flow rate of the pump would mean that i could shower for a few mins before the tank would be emptied.
It isn't that simple, which is the problem of listening to merchants' staff.

If you have, say, a 20 gallon (about 90 litres) cistern, and the pump flow rate is, say, 20 l/m, and your incoming mains flows at 10 l/m, then for every minute showering you use 10 litres from the cistern. Therefore you could have a 9 minute shower. You can work out yourself how long a shower you can have according to these principles. If the time is too short, then get a lesser pump or a larger cistern.

He said i could get a pump for the hot side only ?
They do exist.

If i went that route, ould i still feed cold from loft tank ?
No - the supplies would be unbalanced and you risk the shower not working correctly.

I'm not sure i understand why i need this flange thing ? does that improve the flow or something.
It eliminates the possibility of air ingress, which can be very damaging to the pump.

Mick Leek said:
I had a thought, Isnt there some type of shower that has a small pump built into the unit that runs off 12V or something ?
Mira Event (240VAC). Also Mira "Elite 2", and Triton "T80Si Pumped".

I feel this may be the bast way to go considering all this technical stuff. Do these have a cold inlet as well as hot ?
The Event does; the other two don't.

Cheers softus,

I think i will connect it tomorrow and see just how bad or good it is.

I will then decide wether to fit a pump. Would you advise a twin impellar type then rather than a single ?

Are the pumped dhowers electricaly heated or do they just pump the hot water from the tank ?

Mick Leek said:
Would you advise a twin impellar typethen rather than a single ?
Twin.

Are the pumped dhowers electricaly heated or do they just pump the hot water from the tank ?
I edited my previous post as it was incorrect - please see above.

Just a quick update and a thankyou to softus for the info. I took the bar mixer back and got the mira power shower.

Plumbed it in today and all is working lovely.

Cheers softus, I owe you a beer.

In that case you should know that I prefer Greene King IPA and Gales HSB, depending on which part of the Lao People's Democratic Republic you frequent. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back