Gravity fed system to Closed system conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone help me, The house i am moving into has a storage tank on the first floor and a header tank in the loft, pretty standard stuff, can I remove and do away with the header tank and move the storage tank to the loft, thus regaining precious space?? Should I look to convert the system to a closed system?? :rolleyes:

Has anyone done this is it common practice.

Sponsored Links
There's scope for misunderstanding here. By Storage tank do you mean a hot water cyllinder, or a big open top tank full of cold water?

Er.. by storage tank I mean hot water cylinder, and header tank is big container of cold water. The big container of water in the loft, the hot water cylinder on the first floor. I wanna move hot water cylinder to loft, and get rid of big container of cold water.

Well if you keep it as it is you cant get rid of the header tank only raise it higher in the loft. If this is a problem you will need to look at converting to a sealed system

Sponsored Links
You could put the cylinder in the loft but you'd want to raise the big storage tank a metre clear above it, to avoid problems. Converting to an unvented hot water system, installed in the loft, is likely to cost a couple of grand - if still interested then we can continue...

Yes Still interested in exploring this avenue. I thought that all i would have to do was install an expansion chamber and a small system top up tank,obviously after re routing pipework. why would this cost a few grand? have i missed the important bit? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back