Greasy TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken off one of the TRVs in my room as the radiator is always cold even though there is no air in there. Anyway, for the last year or so, it has always been quite greasy and I could never think why. Maybe I thought we had dropped some baby cream or petroleum jelly or something but having taken it off now, looks too greasy for that. I should add, that the "click" on each turn that used to be a feature of the Draytons, is not there anymore or is simple to turn.

Is it possible the wax inside this TRV has started leaking? Also is there any risks to leaving no TRV on top of the valve? If I need to replace it with another, are other makes all standardised to fit on the pin that this Drayton valvue was sittin on?

Sponsored Links
TRV4s ate all available so buy another one to replace. It'll be fine with no head in the meantime

ok but does it look like I have a failed / faulty TRV?
Are the better makes than Drayton, I seem to have replaced a few of them over the years.

You didn't say if the rad was now warming up.
Seems likely, yes, that the wax has leaked out.

New TRV4 heads on eBay for £10 + delivery

I would stick to the same as you have as replacing brand would probably requiring plumbing changes at the connections.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Is TRV4 a standard or a brand model? Seems to be lots of different types on both eBay and Amazon which include non Drayton trv4?

The radiator did heat up before as well as know but I can't confirm whether it was not as hot before because of the trv as I also just turned up the thermostat so rad is hot.

Drayton TRV4 is what you need (as it says on the picture) for a direct replacement.

eBay is full of sellers trying to pick up others searches. It helps them sell their cheap, or fake tat.

Unlike thermostatic mixing valves, there is no coding for TRVs other than British/Euronorm standards.

Is TRV4 a standard or a brand model? Seems to be lots of different types on both eBay and Amazon which include non Drayton trv4?
1. The TRV4 is only manufactured by Drayton. There are lookalikes available on Ebay.

2. The TRV4 is liquid filled, not wax.

3.Some heads for sale on Ebay have the writing upside down; nothing wrong with them. They are made like that for the European market, where rads are normally piped with the flow at the top.

I've had quite a few of these go wrong. Is Drayton a good make? Who else should I consider?

How long should the heads normally last for?

I personally don't like them, have a look at the Danfoss RasD2 range if you fancy a change

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back