TRV fixable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I discovered my bedroom radiator was cold, and having taken the TRV off found that it was the issue. I then swapped it with a working TRV from my spare room. The make of them is Caleffi.

I am now wondering whether the TRV caphead bit is broken beyond repair.

In the middle of each TRV there is a plastic pin. Usually this pushes down onto the pin that sticks up from the valve to control the temperature depending on how much is required.

In the good TRVs, the pin in the cap is flush to the caphead.
In the broken TRV it is sticking out, and although springy I cannot get it back to be flush. Hence it is always pushing the valve pin closed.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that it is unlikely that you will be able to fix your TRV head. If you had a branded TRV (eg Drayton ,Danfoss), you would be able to pop along to your friendly local plumbers merchant and get a new head.

Unfortunately Caleffi is a 'budget' brand, and as far as I am aware, replacement heads are not available.

You can either buy a whole new TRV, or poss buy another Caleffi of the same model, and put the head from this onto your existing valve.

Whitespirit66 - thanks for taking the time reply :D

*shivers in the cold spare room*

In the meantime would there be any issue with me removing the head? When I did this the radiator heated up. Obviously I won't be able to temperature control the room but as the thermostat is located downstairs I don't think it'll cause any problems.

No problem if you remove the head. Radiator will be fully on whilst head removed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back