GREAT Britain yeah right.

Sponsored Links
Frank was once a proud police officer but now is forced to live on scraps of rotten meat. His family? They couldn't give a damn...

Says it all.

More like their selfish uncaring barstewards and that is why they don't give a damn.

Sponsored Links
9 in 10 families don't care until it's inheritance time then they all care.
Many of my customers that i have through my wifes business are in this situation families don't care, won't spend money, won't show their faces it's all to much of an effort.
And all the red tape stops you getting involved or doing anything about it without the next of kins say so.

He probably bullied his family and that is why they don't give a damn.

On the ball again ;)
So how do you account for the tens of thousands of people who are left to rot in old peoples homes by their off spring?
Were they bullied too?
Or is it just coppers who are all bullies in your world?

Have you considered that just maybe Joe is speaking from bitter experience? He didn't mention the fact the bloke was a copper.

In my limited experience, some people end up lonely and isolated from their families, because when they were younger and in a stronger position, they didn't treat their families well. That lonely, weak, vulnerable old man may possibly have mistreated weaker and more vulnerable people when he was younger. There are always several sides to a story.

My old man was a bullying, wife-beating, control freak who is now probably wishing he behaved differently all those years ago. He's got plenty of time to reflect on his actions now in his lonely, old age - where he belongs - isolated from his family.

I realise there are plenty of bullies around. gd is full of them.
But can you answer the question?

So how do you account for the tens of thousands of people who are left to rot in old peoples homes by their off spring?

My parents were great parents but some of my mates had sadistic abusers as parents. If they could get away with shooting their parents now - they would.

No-doubt they are the sad and lonely 'poor souls' in nursing homes today.

I realise there are plenty of bullies around. gd is full of them.
But can you answer the question?

My answer was to give a possible reason why Joe answered as he did. My guess for a possible reason in the ex-copper's case was just that - a guess. I have suggested that life is not always black and white, as unfortunately, I know from experience.

As for the thousands in nursing homes left to rot, who can fully explain human nature? I don't doubt that some are shunned because they were unpleasant people when they were younger. Perhaps the rest are ignored because it is the offspring that put them in the home are the unpleasant ones. There may be other reasons.

Sometimes, what goes around, comes around. :idea:

I work in a nursing home (as the maintenance person) Some residents have visits almost every day, and others have visits from relatives very rarely. I don't think the decision to place someone in a home is taken lightly. Often families are torn between struggling to look after an elderly relative and placing them in to care. Believe me, I've seen sons and daughters in floods of tears when they've brought their mum/dad in for the first time. They feel as though, they have let their parent down, at a time when, mum/dad needs them the most. Worse still is the couple who've been married for 50/60 years and find themselves separated for the first time in their married lives, simply because one of them cannot cope with the care of a dementia sufferer.
People are wracked with feelings of guilt, leaving a loved one in unfamiliar surroundings, in the care of people they hardly know.

Here's a poem written by a family member of a person suffering with dementia. Enjoy.

She’s trapped inside the prison walls
That used to be her mind.
The woman that she used to be,
Has long been left behind.

There are times she’s quite alert,
Her memory’s still intact.
Then there are days when she disappears,
And we know it’s not an act.

No longer able to care for herself,
We couldn’t leave her alone.
Her safety had to be assured,
So we placed her in a home.

Good days are when we visit her,
And she calls us by our name.
She’s grateful for the company,
And thankful that we came.

Most of the time it’s difficult,
To see our Mom that way.
All we can do is love her now,
As we take life day by day.

Pedantic Point -

'Great' Britain is only derived from a French term used to distinguish between what was ,roughly, Brittany( 'Little Britain') and what is now Britain ( 'Bigger Britain') in the same way that we have 'London' and 'Greater London'.

Let's not confuse this with 'Great' meaning anything like 'really good' or 'Fantastic'

Sponsored Links
Back