greedy vendor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we're thinking of re-locating to cambridgeshire in about 8 months time - so in anticipation of this i've been trawling property sites to see what's available in our price range (f#'%$£"£$% expensive springs to mind!!!) anyway came across what looks like quite a nice cottage outside of cambridge....

it needs total refurbishment and has two bedrooms, a 'lean to' bathroom on the ground floor and just over 1/3 acre of land - now i thought cool knock down the lean-to, put a new extension on to add an extra bedroom as well as a new bathroom (planning permission required) that was until i read further on!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i quote

the following covenants relating to the property will be imposed once the property is sold:

1] a ransom strip will be retained around all boundaries other than the boundary with the road.

2] there will be a "claw back" provision entitling the present owners to receive 50% of the increase in value of the property upon any future development.

there was also some stuff about not storing caravans Etc on the land - now i can sort of understand the ransom strip (the property is surrounded by open fields so if developers want to build on it the present owners get big $) but to grab 50% of the value increase is just plain greedy especially as the house is 'in need of attention' - or have i read that wrong?

Sponsored Links
I have heard about owners trying to cash-in on someone else's efforts - have seen it on properties with 'potential' which this may be from your description - Personally I'd stay well clear and find another property if that is the case.
BTW, is the property leasehold?

It might be worth a phone call to the agent as (1) I get the impression that the claw back clause could be to prevent knocking the house down and putting several up in its place rather than modernisation of this house including an extension, and (2) I don't what legal status the 'covenants' would have and whether they would be enforceable.

We moved to Ely last summer and Waterbeach is about 10 miles away from us - my sister-in-law lives there and its a sprawling village with a couple of pubs, a couple of convenience shops and a military base. If you are not bothered about the land, you can buy a bigger house that does not need updating for less money in Ely...

Pete.

Sponsored Links
cheers pete

never even crossed my mind about the 'knocking down' and building back up thing.... :oops:

we're looking at all areas around cambridge but we'll need to be near a train station as the (soon to be) Mrs will be working in cambs and doesn't like driving :rolleyes: whereas i'll drive and not even consider the public transpoor(t) option unless i have too (sad but true)

only ever been to Ely the once - quite nice from what i remember... but then again i quite like the idea of being in the *ahem* country... and just imagine the parties in that garden - lol

Ely is the next stop on the train line from Waterbeach (8 minutes apart), followed by Littleport & Downham Market. :D

cheers mate - your a veritable train timetable - lol

we're down cams way in a couple of weeks to look around Etc to make sure we still want to move down that way, so i'll stick em on the list of 'places to visit' - oh happy happy joy joy - :LOL:

king.module said:
we're down cams way in a couple of weeks to look around Etc to make sure we still want to move down that way, so i'll stick em on the list of 'places to visit' - oh happy happy joy joy - :LOL:

If you get fed up with house hunting my boat needs its bottom painting. Its in the marina at Ely. I'll pay £1 per foot. ;)

DforDave said:
If you get fed up with house hunting my boat needs its bottom painting. Its in the marina at Ely. I'll pay £1 per foot. ;)

sorry mate i don't paint feet.... or, come to think of it, bottoms.... though i suspect if kylie required a 'bottom painter' i'd be first in line, paint roller in hand and a cheeky smile :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back