Is My Shed Permitted Development? (Curtilage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise in advance for not having the exact measurements to hand, but hopefully one of you knowledgeable people will be able to answer my question anyway.

I have a mid terrace house. We recently had a breeze block shed built at the end of the back garden, and is separate from the house. Together with an existing lean-to (built by a previous owner, date unknown) we have used just under 50% of the back garden area, as I understood it to be. It was only later, through the comments of another person, that I realised that my downstairs bathroom was actually an extension built circa the early 1970's. That takes us over 50% of the back garden area.

However, if I take into account the front garden area (actually a concrete area), which is bit larger than the bathroom extension, then I am back under my 50% total curtilage allowance for permitted development.

The new shed is near the boundaries of our next door neighbours, but is less than 3 metres high with a single pitched roof and has an eaves height less than 2.5 metres. My understanding of the rules is that this aspect is OK.

Regarding my curtilage for development purposes, is my understanding correct? Can I take into account the area at the front of my house from my house wall to the highway boundary, and between the two neighbouring properties?

Sorry for rambling. Any replies are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes as above it's 50% of all the original unbuilt on area, whether it's front back side or whatever. So you're fine.
For that matter you're fine anyway if you wait a few years and don't hear from the council.
And even if you do, you can apply for planning permission. Or if not knock something else down.

The curtilage is not back garden .... unless there is no other front, side, annexed garden.

I will have to get my tape measure out again when it's light, but I think I'm still OK.

While taking measurements, you need to check that its <15M sqr floor space too otherwise it has to comply with building control or be substantially non-combustable

Looks like I'm in the clear. 2.4 metres is the highest point on the roof. Total footprint is a little over 11 square metres, while the usable floor area is obviously rather less.

remember its from the highest natural point on the ground the shed covers to the top

From highest natural ground to highest point on the roof actually comes out less than 2.4M as the ground slopes a bit. After looking at it closely, though not actually measuring it yet, I am confident that from lowest ground to highest point would still measure less than 2.5M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back