Large Garden Building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I was planning to replace my garden shed with a large garden building, partitioned into a shed and summerhouse. This would sit at the back of my garden and be approx 5m wide x 6m deep. The shed part would be 5m x 2m.
This would be approx 1m from the boundaries either side, and so would be constructed with a slight pitch, highest point 2.5m in order to comply with permitted development.
This would not be classed as habitable, but the summerhouse section would be build to high standards that should meet building regs if required (10mm insulation, breathable membrane, double glazing etc).

Having looked at the permitted development rules, part E, I think this should be permitted, and therefore not require planning permission. We're not in any special conservation areas etc. I'd also be under the 50% of curtilage rules with this an all other extensions and buildings. As far as I can see the permitted development rules have no other requirements so far as size is concerned.

I'm getting a bit confused though by contradicting information I'm finding about this as regards building controls. My understanding was that a permitted development was exempt from building controls, but some sites seem to suggest that anything over 30m2 would need building controls.

Does anyone done anything like this / have any firm information based on experience of trying to do something like this?

Sponsored Links
Permitted Development is to do with planning permission, not Building Regulations.

Just because something is PD (e.g. an extension to your house) does not mean that BR wouldn't apply - that would be crazy.

Don't go over 30m², and, assuming it's a wooden building, make sure that your "approx 1m from the boundaries either side" is actually "at least 1m from the boundaries either side", and the building will be exempt from all Building Regulations apart from those pertaining to electrics and water/drainage.

In my area the 30m² is the internal floor area and not external building but check with your local BCO as they may differ from area to area

Thanks for the replies. I understand that Planning Permission and building regs are separate.
So basically if I go over 30m2, building regs apply, but still no planning permission is required? I think that must be correct.
And yes - stand correct on the boundaries - i meant to state greater than 1m!!!

So I may be better keeping the shed separate as then although the total m2 of both is over 30m2, as they are separate buildings, building regs wouldn't apply?
I don't really want to be spending more money on the building inspectors, helpful as they are.

Sponsored Links
So basically if I go over 30m2, building regs apply, but still no planning permission is required? I think that must be correct.
Subject to the normal rules for outbuildings where you are, that's correct - there's nothing magical about 30m²

BTW -- "30m2" ... "30m²" ...

Screen_Hunter_113_Feb_19_09_54.jpg
or
Screen_Hunter_113_Feb_19_09_51.jpg

So I may be better keeping the shed separate as then although the total m2 of both is over 30m2
Not by much surely, to justify the extra costs?
... approx 5m wide x 6m deep ...
That's approx 30m².

Yes - I might just fit it into the 30, ahem, m² limits :)
I was just trying to clarify in case it doesn't.
I think the fact that the area applies to the internal floor space is good as it means I should be able to get a very usable 5 x 2m shed and a 5 x 4m summer room all in one building. I won't lose space I would need in between 2 separate buildings, and as it would all be clad in something nice (cedar probably), I think it would look nicer than having a separate shed.

OK, I think I'm sorted! Time to move the existing shed out of the way for now...

I was just trying to clarify in case it doesn't.
If it doesn't then it doesn't, but as you are so close it seems sensible to make sure it does. If you'd wanted a 5x4 summerhouse and a 5x3 shed then that would be different.

I think the fact that the area applies to the internal floor space is good
Check the rules where you are. They may, for example, not recognise any internal partitions as reducing the floor space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back