Building regs for large storage shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was planning to build a large storage shed 8m x 6m until I realised anything over 30m2 would need building regs approval. I've got a large plot and the shed was going to be more than 2m from any boundary, so permitted development and the fact it would be combustible (wood) should be OK.

The overall space is more important than the contiguous floor area, so presumably I could build two 4m x 6m sheds next to each other, spaced maybe 1m apart (I'd need that to build / maintain the facing walls). Since each shed would only be 24m2 I assume I wouldn't need building regs.

Am I correct?

Sponsored Links
Correct. The (internal) floor area is for each outbuilding and not the cumulative area of all outbuildings.

What about space separation of buildings on the same site, with a notional boundary between them?
As they are both timber buildings, over 15 sq m and potentially within 0.5m of the boundary between them, maybe Building Regs might apply?

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. At least it looks like I can go ahead with my 2 sheds idea.

My understanding is that only parts L and P apply to small detached buildings (Class 6), and since there won't be any heating, cooling or electricity in the sheds, even these don't apply in my case.

A small detached building is defined as ...

1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a) no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b) which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

I'd rather assumed that the curtilage applied to a plot of land rather than the buildings standing thereon. If a building has a curtilage, how far does it extend from the outer walls?

It's all a bit academic if I put a 2m gap between the sheds, so I'll probably go down that route.

Thanks again.

@op;
On reflection, you might be OK building them 1m apart (assuming they are both at least 1m from the site boundary if built of timber)

The space separation regs also apply to detached buildings on the same site using the principle of 'notional boundaries' but it seems only to apply when they are either residential or under the same management - see attached at c.

cap fire..PNG

Thanks again guys for taking the time to look up the relevant docs.

I found a list of exemptions here

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control/38/building_regulations/2

which seems to suggest that Class 6 (small detached buildings) is exempt from all parts except P and possibly L.

It would be handy if Part B didn't apply. If I'm reading section B4 paragraphs 11.16 - 11.18 correctly I'd need 6m between 2 timber structures of this size with no fire protection in the walls [6m walls facing each other, 2.5m eaves height, area 15m2 => minimum distance from notional boundary = 3m].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back