Party Walls & Permitted Development

Following the comments above, I do not know the exact appeal, but there was also one in 2011 or 2012 in Wandsworth, as the following article posted by the solicitors who won that appeal indicates.

I have an interest in this topic, as have received planning permission for a mansard roof with built up party walls but wish to do a dormer (whilst retaining the party walls)

http://www.morrlaw.com/news/father-and-son-team-secure-a-change-in-planning-policy

Having spoken to the planner at the council who dealt with my application, he indicated there is nothing in the permitted development rules to preclude built up party walls for lofts, but I have not been able to get anything in writing.

The planning consultant who filed my application says he has only ever known of PD's being turned down on this point.

Just leaves me with confusion!

This is a different scenario to the original post. What you are discussing is building up an existing party wall - not building a new party wall astride the boundary. For party wall purposes; in the former case you are entitled to build up the party wall in the latter case you would need agreement by both owners. For planning purposes; in the former case both owners are entitled to exercise their PD rights, in the latter case appeal decisions support the view that PD rights include the full width of the party wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back