Party Wall Line

I don't know if there's any hard and fast rule but in my experience, compensation is calculated as half the cost of building the enjoyed area of wall including footings.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if there's any hard and fast rule but in my experience, compensation is calculated as half the cost of building the enjoyed area of wall including footings.
What about the legalities? Presumably the boundary would stay in the same position but it would simply become a party wall. I guess as long as permission is granted no further action would be required with regard to hiring solicitors, surveyors etc? The wall wouldn't be load bearing so there would be no issues there.

Party wall construction issues aside you would need to get written permission from the neighbour and including some kind of agreement as to future maintenance etc, I would guess a solicitor would be required (and probably one for the neighbour I imagine) and that may be best suited to an amendment to the deeds of both properties. Failure to do this could become a legal nightmare if the neighbour moved and the legalities are not in place and a dispute ever arises. Which they can do.

Sponsored Links
I see what your saying now, but what leads you to believe that the boundary staggers and doesn't run down the centre of the dividing wall

Because that would make Ronny’s friend responsible for a wall that did not enclose his house. Which would be a bit daft.

Because that would make Ronny’s friend responsible for a wall that did not enclose his house. Which would be a bit daft.
That does make sense. On the plus side, because the same applies to the rear, only to my mate's advantage, the rear extension will be able to line up nicely with the flank wall of the house - none of this stepping in nonsense that you so often get with rear extensions.
Although I have noticed looking on Google Earth that the neighbour has installed a conservatory up against the flank wall of my mate's house. I doubt he got permission to use the flank wall, I'll have see if I can find out on the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back