green belt no chance ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice please ,I have a plot of land in between 2 houses about 60 m wide and 100m long its is on the way out of the village and would be the 4th form last house , however its in the green belt so half the people I talk to say you have no chance and half of them say every chance of getting planning permission for a house , any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Infill development within existing settlements is usually possible but not all planning authorities are the same. To know for sure you need to look up your local plan and check the sections of green belts and infill development.

Like Jeds said check local plan for the green belt boundaries.

I have a plot of land that is about 50m squared and on green belt. Having checked the green belt boundaries (found online) it is on the edge of the borough. I found a report on the internet which reviewed green belt boundaries in my borough which in fact suggested to the local council some small plots of land which served no real purpose and should be considered for unlocking. Our land was one of them.

Typically you will require 'special circumstances' to be considered for unlocking from greenbelt. It is worth looking up the local housing demand in your borough. Some boroughs are in desperate need of more housing. In our borough we found that there is a massive shortage in housing, in particular 4/5 bedroom properties. Therefore our plan is to place a 4/5 bed house on this plot which would contribute to the desperate need of new housing.

Also, what is on the land?! If it is contaminated for example then it may be in with a shot of unlocking. The land I currently have is covered in tarmac which may be a good argument for a 'special circumstance'.

If you can find any reports on green belt boundaries in your area that suggest your land is a weakness or serves no real purpose this is helpful.
The government is demanding that boroughs force through building applications to deal with the lack of housing in the UK and many councils have reviewed their entire green belt by employing consultants to carry out reports. So there should be more information about your land on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Jon

thanks lads very helpful , the greenbelt is actually on my border and the field is just grass , the local parish council were asking locals if they had spare land back in august to review for possible building plots however my circumstances were different then .

Sponsored Links
After just watching the planners shows on TV - just because its in the green belt means nowt, apply for planning permission - if that fails appeal.

After just watching the planners shows on TV - just because its in the green belt means nowt, apply for planning permission - if that fails appeal.

Broxbourne is my local council and are on that tv programme. Should help me with making an application xD

@rse about face?

I think you'll see from that awful telly program that it's basically the luck of the draw/who you know that counts, along with how much of a power trip the planners are needing to make themselves feel good on the day ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back