Green electric generator

Sponsored Links
You've got to laugh. 'Firefighters are tackling a blaze...' Or perhaps just letting it burn itself out?

They're supposed to have lightning protection built in, although it seems they don't try to be perfect.

Unlikely to be lightning. No storms here today.

Sponsored Links
could be an imminent Viking invasion!

has anyone been down the coast to check for incoming longships?

Facts-about-Viking-Longships.jpg

There was one on fire in Texas the other day making beautiful spiral patterns...

Last edited:
Unlikely to be lightning. No storms here today.
Yeah, I was thinking of the Texas one, much prettier. Given the way Texas operates their turbines they probably didn't even install the lightning protection kit.

The hull fire was apparently probably an electric short or mechanical fire at the turbine.

Most of the fires in German wind turbines in the early years were [ listed as ] gear box failures where the lubrication oil overheated and ignited.

Fires in the brakes intended to prevent a turbine over-speeding were not uncommon but seldom set the unit on fire

Failed brakes allowed the blades to over-speed into self destruction throwing blades considerable distances from the mast.

I see no reason to believe there is a significant change other than the ability to feather blades before uncontrolled over-spreed could occur.

Last edited:
Yes it’s mainly gearbox failures. Though they really should have thermisters installed so they can shut down if the have failures.

Thermistors will not stop the blades generating electricity if they are able to turn. The blades need to be controlled in such a manner they can't 'over rotate' and this is usually by a centrifugal type brake which creates friction. However, if it continues to pick up speed, (maybe due to brake lining wear and lack of maintenance), then a secondary device should be employed which throws out lock bars into a web. These lock bars would only be able to be reset by physically getting up there to reset them.
Time to stop relying on electronic devices to control such large apparatus and go back to some form of mechanical safety devices for back up.
If you switch an isolator off you, (should), also fit a mechanical device, (padlock), to prevent it being turned on again.

I understood they had disc brakes fitted on the shafts which are lower torque

Much better than the old style faceplate discs. The number of times I got called out to a customers factory to align them after a customers 'engineer' fitted them was unbelievable.

Sponsored Links
Back