Green MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the green water resistant mdf waterproof enough to use in a bathroom to make furniture??? If not, what should I use to make furntiure in a bathroom?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If fully sealed/painted then it will resist the moisture in the bathroom. It must be sealed on all edges as well as the BACK and front.

Jason

MR MDF will resist moisture but not actual water.

I would always mount any floor standing furniture on adjustable plastic feet and then apply the plinth as one would do in a kitchen.

That way, if you get a flood the worst that can happen is that you need to make a new plinth.

Cheers
Don

Sponsored Links
You can make it from most things so long as it is correctly finished.

This one I did with oak veneered MDF and solid oak
This is well painted redwood
this is bought MFC washstand with a solid maple mirror
And I made this from solid oak with MFC carcase

All of the fitted bathroom furniture available is MCF(Melamine coated chipboard-conti board) usually with foil coated or sprayed MDF Doors

If you want a natural timber then teak cedar or iroko are the most water resistant as they all contain natural oils.

What exactly do you want to make and what look do you want woodgrain or painted?

Jason

Thanks for the photos, I need to make a tall cupboard for towels, toilet box to cover cistern, and a sink box. I wanted it to be white (although would also go for a dark wood colour).

But problem is that I have been to the usual DIY stores, BQ, Homebase, Ikea, Wickes, but cant seem to find any good quality wood.

I live in west london, but any one got any tips of any places to buy the wood (water resistant ) MDF or MCF

Thanks

Dan

if you want to buy wood, a timber merchant is better than a DIY shed. Have a look in yellow pages and ring round a few. Some call themselves timber importers. Some will not be interested in selling small quantities but others will cater for home furniture-makers and hobbyists. In some local backstreet there may be a company that makes a living out of buying end-of-run stock from furniture or boat builders and will have some interesting stuff.

You should be able to order the MR MDF from Travis Perkins, there are several around west london, or Merton Timber.

If you want veneered MR MDF then the nearest will be South London Hardwoods who also do the edging and will cut to size if needed, I've used their wenge veneered board which is a nice dark timber if a pit on the pricy side ;)

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back